Topic

Fuel Cells for Backup Power

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fuel Cells for Backup Power

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Looks like a fuel cell powered USB charger will be hitting the market. Sounds like these might be quite a bit lighter than Lithium Ion batteries, though more costly.

I find it encouraging as I bring usb battery pack with me for recharging my electronic devices. Lower weight and/or higher energy density is definitely appealing.

http://www.lilliputiansystemsinc.com/news.php?id=5

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404140,00.asp

David Vo

@sygyzy

Interesting indeed. What are some popular portable battery backup solutions for backpackers today? I don't mean solar, but actual power packs. I have a lightweight Duracell unit but I know it wouldn't be able to charge my phone battery past 40% (that's probably a high estimate actually). I have a heavier duty one but it's quite large and heavy.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The Lilliputian press release was 2008.
    Nothing has happened so far.

Cheers

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Roger,

The news link from PC mag was from yesterday. They're going to be sold at brookstone stores.

The Lilliputian link I only included as more background on the technology and the note about being half the weight of the lightest battery options -something I think makes this relevant to BPL

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Nathan

> The news link from PC mag was from yesterday.
    That is good news then. I missed that.
    Hum …

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools