Topic

Raw Brownies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Photobucket

Raw Brownies

Ingredients:

¼ cup raw walnut pieces
    ¼ cup raw almonds
    2 cups pitted Medjool dates (about 20)
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp fine sea salt
    1/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
    ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions:

Add the nuts to a food processor bowl, process until finely chopped. Knock out into a small bowl, set aside.

Add the dates and process until a paste forms, add the nuts and remaining ingredients, process on high until a ball forms and the texture is as fine as you like.

Line an 8×8″ baking dish with plastic wrap, with enough extra to hang over the sides. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl into the lined dish. Pat out with a spatula, then cover with the over hanging plastic wrap and pat/press smooth till they fill the pan evenly. Chill overnight in the refrigerator, cut into bars and wrap each bar. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. For best taste, let warm up to room temperature before eating.

I cut ours into 8 bars.

Notes:
    While these will last, do realize they are not best for warm weather hiking and you must protect them as they are soft. Spring temps though make them a good choice.
    If you source your ingredients the bars can be vegan and are gluten-free as well.

From my personal blog:
    http://gazingin.com/2012/05/08/babies-gardens-and-raw-brownies/

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I finally was in the same place as my Ninja food processor and made these today. Another instant evergreen from Sarah! A big glob of it is going in my pack for tomorrow's hike.

Interesting that these are "raw." I've recently been trying some raw food recipes based on the enthusiasm of one of my hiking friends, and I like quite a few of them. I'm not the true believer she is, but I appreciate adding new ideas for healthy eating to my repertoire. Even Mr. B likes some of them. Although the other day he asked if I'd made some of the dinner items with my Nintendo. Do you mean Ninja? I asked. Then he said, so if something were to happen to the Ninja, like say it got broken or something, you couldn't make any more of this stuff, right? I'm hiding my Ninja.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I thought you meant raw brownie mix. I haven't done it backpacking but on family campouts we'd mix brownie dough and eat it raw. We probably shouldn't have but it tasted good!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Kathleen…tell him if the Ninja breaks and or disappears you get to get a Vitamix…hehheh!! (I love mine!). I love how vibrant raw nuts and dried fruit can taste :-) Yum……

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Here is the raw brownie recipe I make quite frequently. It is very similar.

The same site has a Lara Bar recipe too. (Make sure you check out the flavor variations.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools