Topic

Q: Can opener to do a Foster’s Can stove with nice smooth lid ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Q: Can opener to do a Foster’s Can stove with nice smooth lid ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Trying to get some Foster's cans into alky stoves and can't figure out what can opener everyone is using. Tried the "safe" style one that the grocery store had and it wouldn't even fit on the can due to the way the lid comes in (and is smaller) than the rest of the can body. Anybody have any suggestions ?? I want to still be able to use the can top as the lid (so I'd like the edges to be smooth if possible.

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

I used a knife.

But mine also doesn't have a nice, clean edge lol

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

I know you want to use the can top for the lid, but have you thought about the aluminum rings that push into the top? They really are nice and stiffen up the can quite well. You can also make your own ring from a tuna/soup can, but then you will need a different lid than the original can top. Just a thought, good luck and happy MYOG!!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I believe the Pampered Chef brand can opener will work for the Fosters lid and leave a safe edge, but dont quote me on that.

Gary Rath

@mudisfun

Locale: PNW

I believe you do use the safe can opener style but you have to remove some material from it..

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

I bought this can opener at WalMart for $10 or $12. I used a utility knife and file to remove the nub below the cutter. Hiram Cooke on youtube did a video some time ago about which can openers work and which ones dont. I found it very easy to get a clean cut once the nub was removed. This was the Farberware brand but other brands of this type work as well.Opener

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

When I did mine a year and a half ago, I bought two cans, thinking I'd mess up the first own and it's about 35 mi. rt to the beer store :) I just used a cheap regular can opener and the lid came off smooth and clean. Still using that same pot.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Appreciate all your prompt input. Thankfully the beer store is a mere 10 minutes away, so I'll test out a few different ideas here and see what works best for me. Cheers !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools