Topic

Helium balloons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Helium balloons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Has anyone ever thought of attaching helium balloons to their packs to lighten it up? Wouldnt work in a forest of course but for desert, beach, or grassland hiking? Or would you need a whole lot of balloons just to take a pound of weight off your back?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

We joke about this from time to time in my line of work because it's never practical ( for our needs and constraints) and people don't understand the basics of it sometimes. But, that being said, it could work in the environments you describe given sufficient volume of balloons. Of course you'd end up with some aerodynamic drag losses to contend with. Would love to see someone put some real numbers to this.

Now think about dozens or hundreds of little micro machine type thrusters pinned to your pack providing lift. Csn they be worth the weight of fuel carried to power them? Not all that far fetched of a question actually.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I would love a pack with jet thrusters. Everyone is so concerned with jetpacks how high and fast they can fly, but I'd be cool with a foot off the ground and 2 or 3 mph, a la hiking but without blisters and busted knees.

Back to reality, fiscally speaking that is.. I didnt give much though to drag. Not such a good idea in high winds I suppose, you might get blown this way and that!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Just hope that the wind doesn't blow in the wrong direction : )

According to my calculations, density of air = 1.2 kg/m3, Helium = 0.2 kg/m3, if you have a cubic meter of helium it should lift 1 kg = 2.2 pounds.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

With pack stays and tent poles of Unobtainium, fabric of Etherium and insulation of Aerogel we may not need helium balloons – except in camp for laughs when giving "altered voice speeches".

Technology marches on…

Oh, wait, we ALREADY have Unobtainium (carbon fiber) and Etherium (Cuben fabric).
    And their prices reflect the unatainability of these items for most of us.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools