Topic

IOLS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cameron Melvin

@cameronm99

Locale: Colorado Front Range

Hey all,
    I'm teaching IOLS for the first time this weekend. I'm going to be teaching the campsite selection module. Looking for some hints, tips, or tricks to make this an interesting module. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cameron

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

I know this is too late for your training session this time but… having run this one myself you can get a lot of mileage out of Golf. First give them the bit about not at the edge of a river/lake/stream, look up for "widowmakers", etc. Then, generally better than half of your adults will be golfers and most of the other half will be familiar with the game, particularly "reading the green".

Ask those that are Golfers to hold out their hiking poles and read the tent sight just like a green. Commission them to find the sweet spot (if one exists). Then once they do have them pass that "how-to" knowledge on to those that don't using the EDGE method. Then you can launch into the rest of the story.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools