Topic

Tubbing bulkhead for Sea to Summit bucket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tubbing bulkhead for Sea to Summit bucket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ray Bailly

@tempestv

I want to use a Sea to Summit 20L collapsible bucket as a reservoir for a gravity feed water filter. Any ideas on how to add a bulkhead that will sit kinda flat on the bottom of the bucket so I can still use the bucket as a bucket?

warren mcclintock

@the_gr8t_waldo

try as i could, just couldn't find a pic of the bottom of one of these…so, would a 90 dregree bulkhead fitting do? thee bottom rim would be sitting on the hose, but if there's any kinda rim, it should work

Ray Bailly

@tempestv

I was thinking about this more, I would be better off to put the bulkhead on the side of the bucket, near the bottom. It would make it easier to use the bucket as a bucket, and with dirty water, you could hang the bucket overnight and let the silt settle into the small space under the bulkhead before filtering.

Ray Bailly

@tempestv

The Sea to Summit bucket is TPU coated nylon. Isn't that the same coating that is on heat seal-able nylon? Could I use an iron to bond the bucket to the bulkhead then?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Ray, I would be wary of heating that fabric. TPU varies a lot, and some compositions are for heat-sealing and some aren't. Even if the TPU on that fabric would work for heat-sealing, it would only seal to another TPU with a similar composition and a similar softening/tack temperature range. It wouldn't bond to a dissimilar TPU or any other material. I've tried that.

If you try to use heat, it is more likely that the coating on the bucket will peel off and your bucket will no longer hold water. If you want to bond something to that fabric, I would recommend urethane glue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools