Topic

Z-Packs “Zilch”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Z-Packs “Zilch”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

New pack on the Z-Packs website.

Zilch

Weight: 2.7 ounces
    Total Volume: 1700 cubic inches including pockets
    Body: 11" wide x 5" deep x 22" tall (1210ci)
    Side Pockets: 5" wide x 2.5" deep x 9" tall (225ci)
    Front Pocket: 11" wide x 2" deep x 15" tall (330ci)
    Capacity: 15-20 lbs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Very nice! I like the balance of simplicity, light weight, and function. Joe Valesko has created another winner.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

With a pack body only 5" deep, I do not think you can put a sleeping pad inside and have any room for much gear that is that same thickness, namely stuffed sleeping bags. Thoughts?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think much will depend on the gear we have — a pack this small and light won't work for all occasions.

This pack 'should' work for an overnight or perhaps even a weekender in temperate climes.

I would slip in two 3/8" blue foam pads plus a 3/4 self-inflating pad. These will take up one inch or so together.

Next, I will shove my down sleeping bag to the bottom. I would not use a stuff sack as the resulting "bread loaf" does not translate to efficient packing. Better to just let the bag conform to the insides of the pack — self compressing as you load up more stuff.

The rest of the pack will be filled up with sleep wear, one insulation layer, food, and misc. gear (small cookpot with stove inside, etc.).

Finally, I like to hang my tent on the outside — so I would add two bottom compression straps to the pack. Also on the outside will be two bladders in the side pockets (one fitted with hydration tube), and a rain jacket in the outside front pocket.

Joseph Valesko
    BPL Member

@zpacks-com

A 1/8" thinlight pad works too, but that is roughing it a bit ;).

Ben, I think I should hire you as my official spokesperson!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Joe:

Your packs speak for themselves. :)

I (and others) have been pressuring Brian of ULA to come up with a UL panel-loading pack — apparently to no success — or at least not yet.

Perhaps you might be interested in this challenge as well?

Joseph Valesko
    BPL Member

@zpacks-com

Email me what you want and I can think about it :)

Joseph Valesko
    BPL Member

@zpacks-com

Another new item that I have been working on- shoulder pouches. Thoughts?

zpacks shoulder pouch

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Yeah, Like 'em. Great idea. Nice implementation. Good job!

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Another new item that I have been working on- shoulder pouches. Thoughts?

I've been using a simBLISSity UnSlack Pack shoulder pack. I keep my camera in there as well as a few snacks. I like it a lot, so I think it's a good idea (along with belt-pouches).

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

Nice looking puches Josh, and most importantly very light :D

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Glad to see folks appreciating z-packs!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

hey Joe,
    do you have a pic of your padded hip belt pocket on a pack? I am trying to get an idea of its size. I would like to hold a digital camera and some gu's on my Golite Jam2. Would this pouch be appropriote? Thanks

Joseph Valesko
    BPL Member

@zpacks-com

Hi Jon, I actually dunked my digital camera into the Florida Everglades wilderness waterway last week. I've ordered a new waterproof one to replace it, and I'll be sure to put some "worn" pictures of the belt pouches on the site as soon as it arrives :).

The pouches are made to slide onto a webbing belt up to 2" wide. I'm not sure if the hip belt wings on the GoLite Jam would get in the way or not, you would have to try it out or make a call since you have the pack.

I do offer a full refund including shipping fees if any piece of gear does not work out right, so feel free to try things.

Joseph Valesko
    BPL Member

@zpacks-com

New pictures up finally.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools