Topic

MLD Exodus for shorter trips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Exodus for shorter trips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Does anyone have experience with MLD Exodus for shorter trips? One-two nighters with tops 15lbs (or 20 for luxury) of gear and food.

I'm looking at buying Exodus FS to give me an option of hauling heavier loads for longer time when needed as well as space for longer trips, but I'd also like to use the pack on much shorter trips.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I find the Exodus to be too large for short trips. It can be reduced in size by cinching up the bungee cords and using the volume reducing loops on the bottom but I didn't like the way it carried in this mode.

I bought a Burn as well and it's perfect for small to medium sized loads. I reserve the Exodus for carrying bulkier loads and that's where it shines.

So two packs was my solution, which is probably not what you wanted to hear.

M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

Bit short on $ right now, so I'll have to compromise.

Any other opinions?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The Exodus is perfectly fine as a weekend pack, heck even overnighters. Why?

It compresses really well and you can decrease volume using the clips located at the bottom of the pack. Is the Exodus the ideal short trip pack? Maybe not, but depending on your kit and locale, it may very well be a great all around pack for you that covers summer trips and winter bulk loads. Throw in your kit and dont sweat reducing bulk so you can fill up excess volume, thats a simple way to improve the carry of the pack.

My father in law is a lightweight packer, he owns a Super Exodus and takes it with him on every trip, whether its an overnighter or a 5 day trip loaded to the gills with all the food he insists on packing in. It sounds like the Prophet may be the better option but I can't make that judgement, you know what you need.

You wont "wow" anyone with a tiny SUL pack on the trail but who cares?

Function, function, function.

Jared King
    BPL Member

@jking

Locale: Middle TN

I've got the Exodus FS and it does great for overnight/weekend trips and weeklong trips. like eugene said, it compresses really well and still rides very comfortably. if you're trying to buy one pack to do it all, then this is the pack.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For me, the Prophet was the better option. I bought the Exodus and sold it, because it was too big. The Prophet cinches up just right for day hikes, and it expanded to plenty of room for a recent 6-day trip. My total weight with gear, food, fuel, and 1 liter of water was 19 lbs. I find it very comfortable in day trip or backpack mode. Highly recommended.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools