Topic

seam sealing xpac?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear seam sealing xpac?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

Nearing completion of my first myog pack, made out of xpac, and I want to make it waterproof enough to keep my sleeping bag dry through heavy rain without a liner. Should I use diluted silicon, seam grip, or something else?

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

.. seam grip on my last VX07 pack. Worked well. Straight out of the tube.

Good luck!

Oh, and do work in a well ventilated room. =)

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Thanks, Dan. Did you use it on the inside, outside, or both? If on the outside, how noticeable is it when dry?

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Don't have the pack next to me right now. But I remember doing all inside seams first then the outside at the most stressed and exposed seams. I did it just as much for strength as for waterproofing.
    The surface gets a slightly shiny, transparent appearance, but it's not a ugly or anything so I don't mind that. Once dry nothing has stuck to it so that's also a no worry.

Good luck!

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Thanks again, Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools