Topic

Sierra/Trinity Hike Recommendations ~100 miles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra/Trinity Hike Recommendations ~100 miles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Any suggestions for a ~100 mile hike for me this summer in the Sierras or Trinities? Could be point to point, but loop is preferred.

I'm trying a different planning tactic – let the mileage decide the hike, then try to knock it out in a specified amount of time (in this case, our goal is three days).

Thanks for the help!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

You might have a look at the Four Lakes Loop in the Trinity Alps. An excellent hike with an interesting variety of terrain and outstanding views.

There are a couple of ways in but you should be able to work out a high mileage loop. We started at the Swift Creek TH, up Granite Creek to the Loop returning via Black Basin and Bear Creek. Terrific hiking (but way short of 100 miles!).

Dave T

@davet

I did a long loop in the Trinity Alps a few years ago. There's some detail and a map in the thread at:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33899

Not sure how many miles it was, but I think it was 3.5 days or so. It covered most of the higher part of the Alps.

You might also want to Google "Trinity Alps High Route" for some ideas about off-trail fun.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

David and Dave – thanks for the advice. I'll look into your ideas and see if it helps me plan a big trip.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

If you have the luxury of going ~100 miles, you need to get to the High Sierra! No better place than Sequoia-Kings Canyon.

I believe the following is about a 90-mile loop:

Roads End (Kings Canyon NP),
    over Avalanche Pass,
    up Cloud Canyon,
    over Colby Pass,
    east to the PCT/JMT,
    north on PCT/JMT over Forester Pass,
    continue north over Glen Pass and through Rae Lakes area,
    exit Woods Creek (west) back to Roads End trailhead.

If you are falling behind on your schedule because of the insane ups-and-downs you'll be doing, this route has the benefit of a bailout option after Forester Pass. (Return to Roads End via Bubbs Creek; saves about 20 miles overall.)

If you are open to offtrail hiking, then it's a whole different ballgame. In that case I'd recommend a shorter trailed loop, with a lot of x-country layover-day options, such as Evolution Basin.

If you are REALLY good at offtrail hiking, you could do a section of the Sierra High Route. Just leave your car at Bishop, hitch to North Lake, trail over Piute Pass, offtrail to Sierra High Route, walk as far as you can for 3 days, then exit and hitch back to your car in Bishop.

Post over at highsierratopix.com and see what they tell you there.

– Elizabeth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools