Topic

Cheap CCF vs. RidgeRest/ZRest (in terms of comfort)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap CCF vs. RidgeRest/ZRest (in terms of comfort)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Last week was the first time in a long while I've slept on CCF, and I (or rather, my back and hips) remembered why. Warm enough, but my 1" Prolite is a big step up in comfort. Unfortunately, when I got home I found two small cactus spines in the Prolite (which my daughter had used on the same trip). Easy enough to fix (although I never would have found the holes in the field) but maybe not so easy to avoid. We never slept near cactus, and she was pretty careful with the pad (which was in her pack) throughout the hike. So I can definitely see the advantage of a non-inflatable pad in that area in the future. I also preferred the CCF to an inflatable as a virtual pack frame.

I've never used a Ridgerest or Z-rest. In the experience of those who have, are they a step up in comfort from the cheaper CCF pads? The one I have isn't completely bare bones–it has a bumpy pattern on one side (~0.5" at peaks, 0.3" at troughs).

Like this:

CCf bumps

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I'll answer this the way you asked it :)

The Ridgerest is more comfortable given it's design. The others kill me.

It's inflatable or hammock for me, although I'm VERY envious of those who can use CCF.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I use a nightlite personally, but they all seem equally uncomfortable to me. To absolutely guarantee a poor night's sleep, I also cut it down really, really small. Still, the simplicity and weight savings make it worth it for me.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks, Todd and Ike. For most trips, I'm pretty sure I'm going back to inflatable. But the cost of the Ridgerest is reasonable enough I think I'll experiment with it, those times I need something puncture proof.

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

to me the advantage of the ridgerest (other than incredible warmth) is that the condensation pools in the ridges during the night. instead of making my shirt damp, in the morning the water is on the pad and i just shake it off.

JH
    BPL Member

@ic32987

I use a Ridge Rest, and I don't notice too much difference in comfort compared to CCF. I like the RidgeRest because it's easy to roll up part of it to use as a pillow. I also sleep with something under my knees (pack or such), which alleviates much of the discomfort on my lower back and bony prominences.

If anything, I'd vote the difference in comfort is subtle.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I use a ridgerest. I would agree that the difference in comfort is probably close to none, however the smoother surface of the RR makes it monumentally easier to pack as an "internal frame", and is also not so sticky on my face or arms.

Having to attempt patching an inflatable in the field, particularly at night (when you would notice) has kept me away. And that weird bouncy feeling when you move around.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools