Topic

hydrophobic down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear hydrophobic down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton

@edwardalbarton

Hey all,

I contacted the folks at Down-tek.com about their new hydrophobic, nanotech treated, supposedly environmentally friendly down, and they are selling 10-13 lb bags of 800 and 850 fill to anyone with a business license. I'd be interested in trying it out, perhaps having my montbell bag refilled with the stuff, if someone wanted to do a group buy, or if someone in the cottage industry wanted to start offering it in their bags etc. It is the same down that will start appearing in a Brooks Range jacket later this year, and MH and other companies are coming out with stuff as well. MEC has started offering a DWR down treatment with some bags, and Sierra Designs has a proprietary treatment too. They are only offering 600 fill bags as a preliminary step so far. The prices for Downtek seem reasonable to me, but they asked that I not publish them on a forum. Of course 10 lbs is a lot, so a cottage industry type would be the ideal candidate. I may contact some directly, or PM me for details. Cheers, Ed

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Your post got me excited as I was not expecting it available by the bag until fall. I use them for all my down needs and contacted them for a quote. I'm not sure who you talked to but I was told it wasn't currently available. Once it come to the US rest assured we will have it and test it for use in some of our bags.

-Tim

Edward Barton

@edwardalbarton

Great Tim, Yeah I just heard back as well. It's a bit confusing because it says 'available for immediate shipment' on their site, but they said via email that it won't be available until the fall. I guess I'll just be in touch when and if you get some then. Looking forward! E

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

it is available now for order from Asia via large bulk order but not the 10# bag I'd like to get. Just a few more months than they'll have it in the states for us little guys.

-Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools