Topic

Stove Idea — Simmer/Boil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stove Idea — Simmer/Boil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven Mattison

@scm007

Couldn't we just take a Super Cat stove optimized for boiling water and close a certain amount of ventilation holes so that it doesn't burn as hot??

Steve

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Well, they're really easy to make. Test it out and let us know. How are you going to switch from boil to simmer, or back?

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

How about just a metal ring on the outside of the burner to cover just the lower holes?

Carter Castor

@cjcastor

I think the Super Cat Stove is light enough you could just carry two for about the same weight as messing with a metal ring.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hi Steven,
    I've actually tried this before without great success:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/344058483ktRMsE

I tried covering either the bottom or top holes both completely and halfway and could not get a decent simmer out of it.

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

If you cover some of the holes once it has been primed, I think the flames would shoot out further from the remaining holes. The pressure inside will remain the same, and it has to go somewhere.

You might get a better result from covering some of the surface area of the meths, so that less evaporates into the chamber, creating less pressure inside it and weaker flames coming out. You might have to block some of the holes aswell, to prevent the flames retreating inside the can and being extinguished.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Steve 1,
    Yes, that's exactly what happened–the flames shot out even further with the design I posted above. For less weight, I think it would be better to just pack a tea-light stove if you plan to simmer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools