Topic

Pecos Wilderness conditions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Pecos Wilderness conditions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thinking of doing a loop again in the Pecos over Mem Day Weekend.

How are the snow conditions in the Pecos? I know Colorado is very low this year in general not sure about Northern NM. Also not sure how significant the fire damage was?

My tentative plan is to take in the Trail Riders wall.

I could probably Google the info, but first hand info and advice is always more valuable. :)

thanks!

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

I was out around Jack's Creek last weekend. Pretty snow free until I hit the creek, then lots of postholing the closer you get to Pecos Baldy Lake. A few inches of snow actually fell overnight, but cleared up pretty fast. Can't speak as to the conditions in the rest of the area, but I think the higher elevations will be accessible pretty early.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Pretty big snow year in northern NM. Not sure how the temps are running now. I hope I'm up there in the next few weeks to check.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Eskes is calling…need another green chile beer! :)

Being serious, I just fell in love with the Pecos and would love to go back.

We'll see!

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

I'll be out there again for a few days next week…will update post trip.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

I was just discussing with my better half plans for Mem Day weekend. The Pecos is calling again…

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

Just did a ~40 mile overnight out there…I wasn't in the trailriders wall area so can't comment on that, but can give some info. Went in at the ski basin and was as far north/east as horsethief meadows. Trail below 11k was generally snow free with a few snow drifts here and there. Wandered up towards Lake Katherine and as expected lots of postholing at 11.5k. Ran into some others out there who said the Pecos Baldy Lake area was pretty clear of snow. From the few views I had, the northern part of the Pecos looked pretty bare.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Thanks for the info. Gives me some ideas for sure. Think I am heading back next weekend!

Green chile' beer..here I come. :)

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Hey Paul,
    Would like to hear about it if you go; we're heading up June 10th! :)

Kenneth Carter
    BPL Member

@docbackpacker

Locale: Midwestern United States

I'm interested, too, as I'm planning to enter the Pecos Wilderness on June 13 or 14!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

I just posted a trip report a few days back… :)

It is here if you are curious:
    http://www.pmags.com/return-to-the-pecos-backpacking-in-the-land-of-enchantment

Great place!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools