Topic

You can add a URL for a ‘live’ detailed topo map to your trip report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports You can add a URL for a ‘live’ detailed topo map to your trip report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Elfelt
    BPL Member

@jelff

Often when I am reading a trip report I wish that I could see a nice topographic map of some place being described in the report. Here is an example. Recently Aaron posted about a loop hike in the Lost Creek Wilderness (CO) and indicated that the high point along the way was snowed in. Here is a ‘live’ high resolution topographic map with a red marker at that high point:
    Interactive topo map

To learn how to include a clickable URL in your post here at BPL, see this post.

Anyone can use the Gmap4 software I developed to make similar map links. If you have a GPS track, you can show it on the map.

The Gmap4 homepage has lots of examples to quickly get you up to speed. Check out the new user FAQ and Quick Start section of the Help file.

Gmap4 homepage

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Joseph

A neat and relevant web site, and free to use as well.

In order to keep everyone here happy about our full disclosure requirements, could I ask that you make the situation a bit clearer when you post about this in the future. Perhaps you could change your sig thus:

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
    Gmap4 is free to use

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Joseph Elfelt
    BPL Member

@jelff

Roger – Thanks for the kind words.

Funny thing, I've been told in other forums not to use the word "free" since it makes people assume Gmap4 is some kind of ugly spam/scam. I'm happy to do whatever this forum prefers. (Hopefully I keep it all straight)

I did send a pm to Ryan a few months ago and got permission to post on BPL.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
    (Free for non-commercial use)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools