Topic

Does Such a Shoe Exist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does Such a Shoe Exist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Vasque breeze and Scree

Garmont Zenith

all have no GTX and come with stiffer shanks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Something thin would work, like 16-gauge steel, but it would be pretty darn heavy.
    0.8 mm Ti 6Al4V !

Cheers

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Jack,

cue the singing angels…

The shoe you need to check out is the Salomon Tech Amphibian. This is one of my all time favorite shoes and I have about 5 pair in my closet as we speak (or as i write, LOL). I think they are up to version 3 now, but IMO the original is still the best, although it may be hard to find. Be that as it may, version 2 is good and available as well.

Salomon techamphibian shoe

Because it's a water shoe, the upper is mesh and drains quickly and then dries out fast as well. And because it's also a land shoe (hence the name), the sole is very stiff, supportive and well lugged. It's also very light weight.

I usually wear a Superfeet or gel insole OTC orthotic in mine depending on what I'm doing and haven't had any problem. So your custom orthotics should be okay, but you may need to go up one-half size like any shoe.

I wear mine for a variety of activities, international touring, light runs, biking, day-hiking and backpacking.

Check them out!

singing angels fade out….

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

WOW.

Susan, the shoes look great. Thanks for posting the picture.
    I need to replace my ratty-looking fivefinger sprints so I just ordered a pair.

Hey, Other Jack, have you found anything yet? The input here has been great!

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

The comments here have indeed been great. And I thank everyone for their contributions. Now I have a list of candidates.

Have not gone shopping, yet, deeply buried in some serious work on my 1984 VW Westfalia pop-top camper van (replacing the radiator, pulling the dash to service the heater box, etc.) and that's taking precedence because my son and I have a car camping trip scheduled for next weekend. But the weekend after that will be the first backpacking trip of the season and shoe hunting will start in earnest. If the rumors are true that REI will be issuing a 20% off coupon for members on May 18 then I might hold of an actual purchase until then.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

REI has a perfect shoe for me: very stiff sole, breathable, fast-drying. The "Newport H2" by Keen. Priced at $99, the fellow said it would be going on sale for $69 shortly, showed me the as-yet-unmailed flyer. I said, "Darn, I'm going on a hike this weekend!" He said, "No problem. Buy the shoe now and when it's on sale bring back the receipt and we'll refund the difference."

Score!

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/waterfront/newport%20h

Amelia Ward

@award3

My husband is having similar problems finding a boot. Everyone has waterproof and gortex lined boots. Today we found a boot that we think will meet his need. He wears a 10 1/2 wide and these do not come in wide but the 11 seems to fit well. He has not field tested it yet; but has been wearing around the house and yard and so far is happy. Her is the link to the shoe and it's reviews. I hope this helps. We will update after some field testing. It is the Merrell Sawtooth boot. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/7987M/0/Mens/Sawtooth

Scott Henderson

@scott_henderson

The Vasque Velocity 2.0 has a mesh upper and a light Vibram sole. It comes in D and EE widths. Not for you, but there is also a GTX model. The footbed is not very padded so a gel type insole may be helpful.

I also like the Vasque Catalyst (discontinued) for talus & scree. It has a sticky rubber sole. I haven't seen it in person, but the Vasque Scree sure looks like a replacement for the Catalyst. It comes in low and mid models. There is a "water proof" version, too.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

The best shoe I found for Hallux Limitus or Rigidus for hiking is the Hoka One One, specific model being: HOKA Mafate 3

It has an extremely thick sole and rocking bottom. They are light and breath well.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools