Topic

Hubba Hubba Cross Pole Strength

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hubba Hubba Cross Pole Strength

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

When windy I am concerned about the deflection I observe in the top mounted cross pole of my MSR Hubba Hubba HP tent.

Here's a link showing the Hubba Hubba (similar pole set-up)so you can see what I mean.

here

There is a lot of fabric on the sides of the fly to catch wind and most of that strain/load is transferred to the ends of the cross pole. Even with modest (10-15 mph) winds I notice that the cross pole ends deflect downward several inches.

Has anyone noticed the same and/or had the cross pole bend or break?

jason plummer

@ojaason

After only a few nights in my hubba hubba I noticed the crosspole to have a downward bend. The tent has since seen about 10 to 15 nights in various conditions since I first noticed the bend. It hasn't gotten any worse and I'm not too worried about it. Its even held up to an unexpected snow storm that delivered about 10 inches.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Had the same thing happen. They told me it was normal. It does make sense, actually the Fly Creek 2 has similar hubbed poles and they come prebent.My tent went back due to floor leaks in that particular model year.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Of the short pole?

Stick a trekking pole in there from the ground to the grommet that holds in the pole (at the top of the door)

Fixedish

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Barry,

Yes, the short pole.

I like your trekking pole idea. I don't carry one but could carry an extra carbon fiber spar to do the same thing. I would only use it on the windy side of the tent if I was experiencing heavy winds.

Daryl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools