Topic

MSR rubber band

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR rubber band

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I found this thing, and I can't figure out what it is used for.

It is a very large black rubber band, printed "MSR Mountain Safety Research."

Its total length is about 14 inches, and its width is about 7/10ths of one inch.

–B.G.–

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I know! It is used to wrap around the MSR titan kettle to hold the lid on during transport.

Edit: I am often wrong.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I got one with my snowshoes. It holds them together.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

+1

Snowshoes. Two came with mine but did not inspect closely to see is there was any imprinting.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Aren't they supposed to be used for wrapping around your fingers, stretching, and shooting at moose in rut? :^)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I got one with my snowshoes. It holds them together."

I would think that would make the snowshoes difficult to walk on.

Now I will have to develop a totally new piece of gear so that I have something to use the rubber band on.

–B.G.–

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

UL thong.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

It came with my MSR snowshoes but as Steven Evans pointed out its PERFECT for holding together pots and stove kits. I put my pocket rocket (wrapped in one of those microlight towels to protect the stove and also to use as a oven mitt) along with a mini bic lighter inside my 700ml pot and rubber band it all together.

From a survival standpoint, there are many, many uses for a rubber band of this size. It would actually make a decent slingshot, could be used to lash all sorts of stuff in a pinch, a tournquet in worst case scenarios, etc.

jim logan
    BPL Member

@jim_logan

I have two of these rubber bands from multiple pairs of snowshoes (they are shipped with the rubber band to keep the pair together). My favorite use is in making a pillow: I carry a thermarest light seat and lightly inflated, folded, and with the MSR rubber bands holding it I have a wonderful pillow. There have to be many more uses.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I carry a thermarest light seat and lightly inflated, folded, and with the MSR rubber bands holding it I have a wonderful pillow."

Couldn't I use two ordinary rubber bands for that?

Nevermind. I don't use a Thermarest.

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools