Topic

NeoAir XLite vs XTherm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir XLite vs XTherm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Moravec
    BPL Member

@mntentman

Locale: The Great Midwest

Hi,

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my mattress situation. I do camp year-round so the NeoAir XTherm looks appealing. (I use an original NeoAir right now for three seasons). It's about an ounce heavier than my current NeoAir but obviously the R value is much higher. Is there any reason why I would NOT want to get rid of the NeoAir I have now and just use the XTherm year-round?

Thanks!

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Get it and don't look back

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Just keep in mind that the newer "X" pads are mummy cut as opposed to the original NeoAirs rectangular cut. I live in the Southeast, so I am able to use my original NeoAir all year around. In the 2-3 months that are colder down here I just use the 1/8" or 1/4" ccf pad that I use as my packs frame support to layer over the top of the NeoAir and this combo provides all the warmth that I need. THis way I only carry what I need rather than more than I need…

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

also keep in mind the shorter newer Xlite has the mummy cut beginning at the shoulder not below the hips so its narrower practically its entire length. Matters for the colder months as more chance you'll fall off the mat at the hips.

I've not seen the entire Xlite / Xtherm but I did order the Xlite small and way too narrow so I got a Neoair small in sale and waiting to see how narrow is the Xlite, Xtherm and the Xtherm Woman's as the possibly the Xtherm Woman's is really the shape a small/medium Xtherm should be?

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Yeah, both the new XLite and XTherm are warmer than the old NeoAir. The trade-off between the two new ones is weight versus even more warmth. As mentioned, the only reason to keep the current one is if you prefer the rectangular shape. I personally prefer the rectangular shape, but not enough to keep me from getting a new one (I decided to get an XLite, although it was a tough choice).

Michael Pelissari
    Spectator

@pelissarim

Locale: New England

Man, now I am in the market for a new light bad, sadly I would need to get a large.

My old pad is Big Agnes Insulated Air Core 2.5"x20x78". So I have no idea what the specs on it are cause it is from like 2008.

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

I got the Xtherm just for 3 season because it was more durable than the XLite.

I returned it because it does in fact get really warm. Too warm for spring/summer at least for me.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Proud owner of an xlite and finally went with a large pad.

Warm enough for winter for me, especially when I couple it with ccf sit-pad. Big enough I don't have to pay attention to staying on it.

At 1lb it's kinda heavy but I sleep like a champ so it's worth it to me. I guess you could say it's my luxury item?

…maybe just say that the difference of 4 oz from the regular size to the large size is my luxury item. (Reg is 12oz, large is 16oz I believe). So I'm only carrying 4oz "extra" and for the difference it makes with my sleep I'll take it.

And (I hate to even bring it up) but I have noticed my wife's xlite (the older, Piss yellow one) is kinda crinkly, but when we are lying down it's not noticeable, just when we are getting the bed put together.

So to all you neoair "crinklists" I conceed… You have an argument, but not a strong one.

—The profanity filter is back??????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools