Topic

TGO Challenge 2012 – Kit List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists TGO Challenge 2012 – Kit List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Locale: UK

As part of my prep for the TGO in a few weeks I've been getting a list organised for my kit, sorry it's in grams but I'll get round to converting it one day.

Any comments welcome

http://shewiesworld.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/tgo-challenge-2012-kit.html

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Richard,

Pretty complete looking kit. If you want to get lighter you might want switch out the stove for an alcohol stove, maybe drop the water filter for A.M.or get a Sawyer squeeze filter. Other things- drop the trowel and use a stick, and I'd just use a compactor bag for a pack liner instead of a pack cover.

JJ

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Some good advice there thanks JJ, my thoughts on what you said ..

Alky stove vs Jetboil –

The JB is quite a lump but I feel over the two weeks that gas will be lighter and more efficient compared to alky. I do prefer alky for weekend and short trips but over the longer period then gas wins for me. Ideally I wanted to take my Bushbuddy Ultra and Mini Atomic stove combination but I think it's going to be too wet for that unfortunately.

Filters –

I'm still in two minds whether to take a filter at all, plenty of folk keep telling me I won't need it and they're probably right. I'm not too much of a gram weenie though to be honest, light is good but not the ultimate aim for me, I'll probably decide on the day I leave :)

Toilet trowel –

I've slightly modified the design now and it's more on a par with the MSR groundhog

Pack liner –

Compactor bag is already in there, may drop the pack cover though

Thanks for your comments JJ, much appreciated buddy

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Post it up and we'll offer some comment.

Can you give some detail and context about the TGO. I have a feeling that it's some kind of race or time trial across the UK, but I'm sure that's not the whole story.

Rod

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

I see what you're saying Rod but it's probably in a better format on my blog than just a long list of words and numbers on here.

I'll try and write a list up before I go if I get chance, it starts next week though so it might be more of a review on my return.

The TGO is non-competitive, it's more about the social aspect and building good relations with fellow hikers. Most of the entrants are twice our age but it should still be a good experience.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Philip W. at http://www.sectionhiker.com has compiled a lot of information about the TGO, including reviews of what gear worked for him on his 2010 TGO hike. Use the search feature on his site, for "TGO".

Scott S
    Spectator

@ih8mice

Kit list looks good. I can't think of any changes/recommendations. I do have a question about your pack though. Just wondering if you modified your CDT to lighten it up? I have the same pack and it weighs in at 594 grams.

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Hey Scott,

The only mods I've made is to remove the foam back panel and trim the straps down to suit my needs, I did pick up my CDT used off another forum though so I wonder if they've been snipping too.

Thanks for the comments everybody, I'm giving some consideration to the warm layers now, I'm thinking about switching the Fireball top for my OR Transcendent hoody instead. We've gone into another cold and wet spell over here with night time temps around 3*C at our mid crossing point.

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Thanks for that Steven

I've come across his site before with various searches but not checked in for a while, thanks

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Richard,

Very comprehensive list mate :-)

Unfortuntaley I suffer from the Cold when stopped (run hot when moving) so would end carrying a much warmer bag and insulated clothing.

I see you are using a Montane Fireball, it is a very tastey bit of kit.

Cheers,

Stephen

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

Nice kit. I would try to reduce the number and weight of the stuff sacks and plastic bags you carry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools