Topic

Gossamer Gear LT4 pole extenders

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Stephen Barber BPL Member
PostedApr 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I think that one of these in each trekking pole, and then using a pole on each side, would make the Duomid near as bombproof as the Solomid! With a single pole, I doubt it would be much weaker than using an LT4 with the basic aluminum extender that sometimes causes teh tip to snap off – in fact, I think it would be stronger!

Brian Hall BPL Member
PostedApr 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I guess I might have to try them out. At .8oz each, it wouldn't add much weight at all.

PostedApr 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I used an early version of them. Had one I got from GG a couple of years ago, I think. It works well, better than the aluminum 'pole jack' most people generally use as there isn't a worry about breaking anything near the tip of the pole and, since it's a much tighter connection, there isn't the sway associated with the pole jack.

The way you use it: completely separate your trekking pole sections from each other (top/bottom), put the slender end of the extender into your top section, slide your bottom section into the extender, adjust to desired height and tighten bottom section/extender combination.

The only issue I ever had – don't know if they've fixed it with these – was that the extender doesn't fit all that tightly into the top pole section, so until you have it adjusted and in place (so that the tension of the shelter keeps it together easily) it can separate. Not a huge issue, you learn quickly how to deal with it, just a pain in the butt at times.

But all in all, well worth it. I've been waiting for them to finally offer these (I don't think they ever did, just a few people got a 'beta' version to play with) so I could buy a second one!

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJul 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Bump. Important question for anyone who knows. I got one of these, but find that it's too long to work in place of the kind-of-loose MLD supplied jack. Is this only for setting up solomid style and requires two to do so, or can you get a ground-level pitch that it sturdier than using the MLD jack? I'll take a day hike tomorrow and tinker, but what I'm looking at right now is a very long LT4 that would require two jacks for a non-center pole setup.

Brian Johns BPL Member
PostedJul 27, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Is the GG extender too short to use as a center pole, so that its only useful if you have two for a dual pole set up? Seems awful high to use as a center pole without significant canting.

PostedJul 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Still confused a bit (you ask if it's too short, but then say it seems awful high) so I'll offer some info and hope it's helpful.

Remember, even with the extender your LT4 is still adjustable, so with the extender the pole can be from around 70" high to around 57" high. So you'd need to cant it a bit if you were using it as a center pole for a Duomid, but not for an Ulta2.

Hope that's helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...