Topic

Gossamer Gear LT4 pole extenders

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear LT4 pole extenders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Has anyone used these yet? Just noticed them on the GG page a few days ago. I think they used to offer these, but got rid of them for a while. I'm looking to pick up a couple to use for an inverted V setup with my duomid. I'm just wondering how stable they would be with my LT4's. Seems to me that they would flex alot more since the poles will be longer.

http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking-accessories/lightrek4-extender.html

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I think that one of these in each trekking pole, and then using a pole on each side, would make the Duomid near as bombproof as the Solomid! With a single pole, I doubt it would be much weaker than using an LT4 with the basic aluminum extender that sometimes causes teh tip to snap off – in fact, I think it would be stronger!

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

I guess I might have to try them out. At .8oz each, it wouldn't add much weight at all.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I used an early version of them. Had one I got from GG a couple of years ago, I think. It works well, better than the aluminum 'pole jack' most people generally use as there isn't a worry about breaking anything near the tip of the pole and, since it's a much tighter connection, there isn't the sway associated with the pole jack.

The way you use it: completely separate your trekking pole sections from each other (top/bottom), put the slender end of the extender into your top section, slide your bottom section into the extender, adjust to desired height and tighten bottom section/extender combination.

The only issue I ever had – don't know if they've fixed it with these – was that the extender doesn't fit all that tightly into the top pole section, so until you have it adjusted and in place (so that the tension of the shelter keeps it together easily) it can separate. Not a huge issue, you learn quickly how to deal with it, just a pain in the butt at times.

But all in all, well worth it. I've been waiting for them to finally offer these (I don't think they ever did, just a few people got a 'beta' version to play with) so I could buy a second one!

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Bump. Important question for anyone who knows. I got one of these, but find that it's too long to work in place of the kind-of-loose MLD supplied jack. Is this only for setting up solomid style and requires two to do so, or can you get a ground-level pitch that it sturdier than using the MLD jack? I'll take a day hike tomorrow and tinker, but what I'm looking at right now is a very long LT4 that would require two jacks for a non-center pole setup.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Brian, I don't quite understand your question. Could you rephrase?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Is the GG extender too short to use as a center pole, so that its only useful if you have two for a dual pole set up? Seems awful high to use as a center pole without significant canting.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Still confused a bit (you ask if it's too short, but then say it seems awful high) so I'll offer some info and hope it's helpful.

Remember, even with the extender your LT4 is still adjustable, so with the extender the pole can be from around 70" high to around 57" high. So you'd need to cant it a bit if you were using it as a center pole for a Duomid, but not for an Ulta2.

Hope that's helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools