Topic

COOL PILLOW…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear COOL PILLOW…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

Is there such a thing as a cool temperature pillow? I usually use a stuff sack with some of my clothes…but that ain't cutting it anymore.

I want to make a pillow that stays cool and does not absorb alot of heat. I am here in Florida and it doesnt get to cold here anytime.

It seems that I spend most of my time tailoring my gear around the temperature down here…

What materials could I use? What kind of stuffing?

Thanks

bsaernie

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm with you, but I do hike in cold temps also. My latest pillow I made, it is silk on the outside and polyfill on the inside. I haven't got to use it in high temps yet, but it seems to help regulate the temp around my head a little more than a standard blow up pillow or other backpacking pillows. I made a bigger version of it to try, but it's to big for my taste, if you want, just pay shipping and I'll send it your way, and you can try it out. It is similar to this one but it is blue and white. The pillow in this thread is silk on one side and ripstop on the other, the one I'll send you is silk on both sides. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

Jack

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

My pillow is a 4L Ortlieb waterbag. You can fill it with either water or air and have a very comfortable pillow. When it's filled with water, the pillow is very cool, usually a little too cold for me, but you can regulate the warmth by using either slightly warmer water or by laying a T-shirt or some other piece of clothing over it.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

+1 on the water pillow. Water has a very high specific heat, so it won't absorb as much from your body. On my last trip, I used a 3L Platypus partially filled as a pillow, and it worked quite well. It ended up being too cool for me since it got down to 20 or so. But that wouldn't be a problem you'd have much in Florida.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools