Topic

Ireland (West Coast)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ireland (West Coast)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I may be traveling to Ireland soon, and would like to do some hiking in the west coast region, including Donegal.

Any considerations that I need to take into account with regards to gear? I've read that it's cold and wet–perhaps on par with the Pacific Northwest in terms of weather and climate.

Also, any recommended hikes?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Chris,

I am from SW Ireland and just back from a 5 day backpacking trip, it rained constantly on one day, the other days where sunny with some hail and snow showers.

I am posting on my phone at the moment but will give an in depth reply once I boot up a computer.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

First off the Mountains in Ireland are all above treeline, in fact the West coast of Ireland does not have may trees at all, secondly they are no way marked trails.

You will need to pack decent waterproofs and I would highly suggest waterproof boots or mids.

Are you day hiking or going to camp out?

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for responding (hoping you would, as I read in other threads that you were from Ireland).

As this is a business trip, I will most likely be day hiking. However, I would like to try and sneak in some overnights–probably will need to do it next time though.

In a climate like that, do you avoid down gear (sleeping bag, insulating layers) at all costs?

What sort of gear were you using on your 5-day backpacking trip (Do you have a gear list posted somewhere)?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

I am posting on a phone so ignore any typos.

First off what town or city will you be working from so I can recommend where to go.

Down sleeping bags are no problem at all if in a tent.

I don't have a gear list but below is what I used, the lowest temps (in my tent) was about -5c probaly about -10c outside.

I had to pack a week before my trip so I errored on the side of caution, I was also testing out some proper winter kit so pack was a tad heavy.

Pack.
    Aarn Mountain Magic 55

Tent.
    Hilleberg Soulo

Sleeping and insulation.
    Exped Synmat Ul and half Z lite
    20f quilt
    Gooses feet down parka
    Arcteryx atom lt trousers
    Pati Micro puff

Shell
    Montane quickfire event
    rab bergen event trousers

I just have guests who walked in the door so must dash but Pm me tomorrow and we can chat :-)

Cheers,

Stephen

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Hi Stephen,

Is a tent the recommended shelter (due to rain and cold) for most of the year? Is a bivy + tarp shelter solution simply not possible (or a good idea) in Ireland?

Also, any recommended (long-distance) hiking trails?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

I would use a Tent myself as I prerfer to camp above 700 meters, the bottom of most mountains are at 50-100 meters and all are open with no trees. Using a Tarp will limit your site selection.

I have mainly hiked in the South so only have .. limted experience of the North West.
    As such all the way marked routes are low down (old trade routes).

I do have some good guide books I can recommend, I am away for the day but will loik thm up later.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

I am after leaving the guide book in my mother house in Ireland, when are you thinking of going?

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Hi Stephen,

I tried to PM you, but I think you've disabled that feature.

Just wondering, have you come across any good outdoor gear shops in Ireland? Any recommendations?

Thanks…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

Dublin has some great gear shopa, not sure about out west though, kit will be expensive though.

Cheers,

Stephen

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Hi Stephen,

Which gear shops in Dublin would you recommend? I may stop in sometime if I get the chance–even if it is to try on items (for size) that I can get cheaper through mail order.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Don't know your timing – as you'd stated mostly west coast and day trips , but if you wanted a "long trail" hike you could do the Wicklow Way from south Dublin through the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains. Some beautiful scenery and great B&B's if you wanted to keep it simple. If your mileage is large – you could probably do it pretty quickly – as it is not all that difficult with a light load. It was my very first thru- at around 70 miles or so if I remember, but it was nice. Enjoy !

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chris,

Patagonia have an outlet shop in Dublin City Centre, the Great Outdoors on Grafton Street is not bad as is 53 degree North.

Irish luxury sales taxe is 22% but can be claimed back at the airport.

Cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools