Topic

Are you a seasonal hiker?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Are you a seasonal hiker?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I live down here in sunny FL, and I hike/bike/camp year-round. From the lows in the twenties during our week of winter here to 95+ degrees with 100% humidity during May to October, I do it all. It helps that I tend to bike to the campsite; you always have a breeze on a bike.

Even so, I hiked the Ocala South section of the FL Trail last August. It was when I could get two days off from work. I didn't see anyone on the trail outside of the established campgrounds (water stops), and it was wonderful for that.

I highly recommend going out during the "off" seasons for your area if you want to be alone on larger trails. As long, of course, as you have the skill set to deal with problems under those conditions (be they heat or cold).

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I usually hit the desert (Death Valley) once winter comes, but it's more of a mix of Jeeping and backpacking.

Only good thing about living in Bakersfield is all the options 2-3+ hours away. Beach, Desert, East and West Sierras.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Another Floridian here.

Yes, I'm a seasonal hiker unless I can travel far away: I, too, hike when most of the country stops, since the weather and critters aren't so accomodating.

I know most don't concern themselves with snakes, but I'm pretty good at spotting wildlife and tend to see far more snakes, on the same trails, than most people I talk to. They haven't survived w/ such few adaptations for so long for no reason! They're survivors!!!

Florida sucks for my kind of hiking but you make the most of what you have!

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools