Topic

Patagonia M10 Jacket returning for Spring ’13

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia M10 Jacket returning for Spring ’13

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

For those of you who loved the M10, it will be coming back in Spring '13!!

I wasn't told what material it was made out of, but I think Active Shell would make the most sense for Patagonia.

Are you guys stoked?

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I haven't gotten stoked for anything with the Gore name on it for a long time now.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I really like eVent, but hate how I have to constantly keep it clean for it to breathe and/or stay dry.

As far as I know, not a lot of companies have been able to bond highly durable face fabrics to eVent.

Dane Hedges
    BPL Member

@dhedges

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I stopped by the Seattle Pata store today to catch up on things. They had a small selection of the new (Spring 2013) M10 jackets. The colors I saw were peppergrass (a lighter shade of bright green) and forge grey. My observations: it has a 3-layer stretch fabric that seems the same as/very similar to the previous (2010 – 2011?) version. The tag noted Patagonia's H2No WP/B barrier and nothing Gore-related. The stretch is not significant but the fabric extends somewhat. There's a single "Napoleon" pocket on the left chest. No pit zips. The hood has a single adjuster on the back (didn't notice any front adjustments). The cuffs had hook-and-loop fasteners, and I think there was a hem drawcord. It has a very minimalist design and felt very light. I didn't try it on as I didn't want to be tempted into another shell purchase – at least not yet. ;) It's a nice-looking, seemingly well-designed jacket. I look forward to reading some reviews about it.

James Brady
    BPL Member

@superpenguino

UKC already has a video first look on the jacket here:

http://vimeo.com/45922352#

Looks like some quality kit, but I'm sure not sure how much I dig the lack of pit zips. Besides, for all the talk about its minimalistic design, it should weigh less than ~8oz.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I was actually thinking that coming in under 8oz sounded pretty impressive for a 3 layer hard shell with a pocket, adjustable hood and adjustable hem

James Brady
    BPL Member

@superpenguino

Fair point. Especially if there is some stretch to the fabric as well.

I'm still a bit skeptical of the breathability. But I've heard active-shell isn't all that impressive either.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thank you, Babak, for that news, and James for the video.
    A while back there was a post from Ryan Jordan suggesting that Patagonia would have a WPB competitive with the breathability of eVent.
    If that is so, and the jacket is long enough to cover my nethers in the 8-9 oz. range, then it will replace a first generation Specter that is 8.5 oz in size XL.
    Reason: Similar specs, but with much more breathability and smaller size folded.
    Patagonia has had the best DWR treatments I've seen (except on a Danner boot), and that is essential for a good WPB to work well.
    Will watch their site as the year unfolds. Thanks for the heads up.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mon dieu! I'll stick with my REI eVent Kimtah parka, thank you very much.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Yeah I don't think there are any real standout fabrics yet in the breathability department. One day we'll see windshirt breathability and waterproofness combined. But for now the best on offer from the various manufacturers are a far ways off

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Must disagree with the conclusions, not to mention the reverse snobbery.
    Everything I've bought made by Patagonia has been at least 1/3 off, and not that hard to find at the price. The Specter was $99, marked down from $150, and is going strong after over ten years.

For some reason, the quality of many Patagonia products doesn't get much credit on this site. I backpack comfortably in the rain all day and in camp with them and later read about 'hypothermic rain' and similar frights on this site. OK, you go your way, and I'll go mine, a lot more safely and comfortably I'll bet.

As for the 'Patagucci' business, please read up a little about the company and its founder. I never see this sort of thing here about Arcteryx, which cost a lot more.
    When we feel we have to castigate someone for being a good citizen, something is wrong somewhere.

Patagonia made the second generation Specter too light, and must have got into trouble with that, as they took it off the market and have stuck to heavier shells ever since. It is fantastic news that they now may be taking a stab at a very light shell with well above average breathability.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm with Samuel, I've never paid full price for any of my Patagonia stuff. Just wait for the biannual 50% off sale. Also, can someone explain the whole Patagucci thing to me? Even at regular price, they don't seem too far off from similar offerings from The North Face, Arcteryx, or any of the other major manufacturers. Maybe I'm missing something, is it the goofy colors? :D

I've been more than happy with the durability of my Patagonia clothing too, especially Capilene. My Dad still uses the same pair of Capilene bottoms he bought for our Boundary Waters trip 10 years ago. Plus when its worn out they'll take it back and recycle it. I've also bought some used gear through their Common Threads Ebay store. With the notable exception of Backcountry (via Gear Trade) I haven't seen many other manufacturers actively help people resell their old gear.

Adam

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I loved my M10. I loaned it to my son and he left it at an alpine lake. Teenagers.

The old one had a very slim fit, and was pretty short. I think this may be the qualifier meant by "Technical Alpine Hardshell" and "Emergency Rainwear".

So if it's the same cut, backpackers might want to size up one size.

I'm excited about the new M10 … if it comes in at less than 8 oz ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Samuel- agree fully w/ your Patagonia assessment- I have a circa 1985 Synchilla pullover still on the job that you'd be very hard pressed to tell is approaching 30 years, Capilene that is in the 15-20 year range, some socks in the same time range and several newer items that I foresee having a long time- several R1 pieces, Houdini (OK I have three of them!), guide pants and and a brand new Cap 4 hoody that is the cat's a$$.

I look forward to the return of the M10, will look at the specs/reviews and if they look good- bide my time to purchase it at a reasonable price.

Mike

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

A quick Google search shows the M10 available at North Platte River Fly Shop and Moosejaw. Weight is quoted at 7.9 ounces (no size indicated)…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Not sure why I got a little overwrought. My bad. Sorry.
    $379 for a rain jacket would be too much even if it could make the rain stop.
    Patagonia does make high quality stuff for its high prices, though; not the lesser quality stuff of some of the other snob appeal outfits. So I will do exactly as Mike M and others, "look at the specs/reviews and if they look good- bide my time to purchase it at a reasonable price."

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

With the exception of weight savings, I think the older M10 is significantly better, due to the hybrid pit-zips. Sure, at ~10oz, it wasnt the LIGHTEST, but incredibly durable. I found it as almost as durable as the Arcteryx Alpha LT (dead serious), but far more comfortable.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I bought a second hand specter off the forums here. Lasted but a short while, the shoulder coating/lining wore out very quickly after just a few trips. Not sure if that's what a previous poster was referring to when saying the material was too light. I did return it and got a brand new torentshell anorak at 10 oz. Happy with it but it's still too new to justify replacing it, but if I was in the market this new M10 (got a catalog in the mail today) looks good. Need to stop by the store this week to see it.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Looks like a nice piece of gear. I wonder how the material compares to Gore Active Shell, another 3 layer WPB with some jackets in this weight range and slightly lower.

Nice that you get a pocket, adjustable hood, hem, and cuffs.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

This is back on their website.
    I wonder if REI will stock it.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-m10-jacket?p=84171-0-497

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Has anyone tried the new M10? Curious to know how it fares without pit zips.

Brian Phillips
    BPL Member

@fleab

Locale: The Flat Lands

I picked one up last week and so far I am thrilled with my purchase. Weighs 8.4 oz on my scale (size large) but somehow feels extremely durable at the same time. I had a chance to do a 2 mile fitness hike in the rain last weekend and it performed wonderfully. I finally own a WPB jacket that I actually find to be breathable. The temp outside was a humid 69 F. I was wearing a short sleeve, lightweight Capilene crew underneath and never felt clammy as I used to with my old Precip jacket. I can honestly say that pit zips were not missed.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Wow! Brian, you have me excited. How do you feel about sizing? I'm normally a small in Patagonia but found the M10 a bit baggy in small. The x-small actually worked pretty well but was a bit tight when layering over an ultralight down hoody.

I need to figure out how often I will be layering. I'm wondering if I can use this in cooler weather instead of my 2013 Houdini, which per recent reports is no longer as breathable as before.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"I'm wondering if I can use this in cooler weather instead of my 2013 Houdini,"

I'm not suggesting you can't use the M10 in place of a Houdini for a cold weather windshirt (I do this myself on occasion) but be aware that even though the Houdini doesn't breathe well by wind shirt standards its probably at least one order of magnitude better than a WPB jacket

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools