Topic

90 gram /sq. meter for flysheet, (or 50 gram, or..)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 90 gram /sq. meter for flysheet, (or 50 gram, or..)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

Hello,

I am about to start my project, a two man tent. I will order the tissue from a german company since I live in France and I haven' t found anything here.
    Anyway,

They have:
    1 )Nylon, siliconecoated, 40den, 90g/sqm,
    2 )Polyester, siliconcoated, tentfabric, 80g/sqm
    3 )Ripstop Nylon tent fabric silicone coated, 50 g/sqm,

Since I will use this tent for a longer trip, low weight is not top priority. Durability is. I wonder, if a tissue is twice as heavy, is it also, almost twice as big when packed?

Any comments are appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Peter

James Berwick

@jhb0510

Hi Peter
    I am in the process of making a bivi using their 50gsm as the floor. I was really impressed by the stuff when it arrived, it looks really good quality. It looks tougher than the silnylon used by tarptent which my squall is made of which has taken everything I have thrown at it.
    I would go with the 50 unless abrasion is going to be a problem in which case I wouldn't use sil nylon.
    James

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Making a mid out of the 50g/sqm at the moment – take it's Extremtextil your dealing with? (Mine is) Think it's plenty strong for the purpose, I would even consider lighter if it were available. I'd say go with 50. :)

Best regards,
    Daniel, Finland

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I used the 50g/m2 silicone coated nylon for the flysheet, 90g/m2 PU coated nylon for the groundsheet.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46644

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

Hello again,

Thank you for the comments. It is Extremtextil from germany I was talking about.

What is a ' mid ' ?

The Westwind and Tadpole by TNF use 70 gram says the official North Face site.
    Many manufacturers only put the HH value in the description.

Thanks to your advice, I decided to go for the 50 gr, it has a good colour(dark green) an absolute Must for me,and see if the projects works out well. I'll probably put a 'my first tent project 'somewhere on the internet.

Thanks for the input.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

Mid is short for piramid.

I'm also in the process of making my own tent (got my material from Extremtextil as well) and I'll be using 50 g/sqm silnylon for the floor. By itself I don't think that material is waterproof or tough enough (though it is surprisingly strong), but I'm going to give it an extra coating on both sides (using this guide: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html) which should make it more waterproof and as tough as the 90 g/sqm PU nylon. Weight will probably be roughly the same for the PU nylon and the treated silnylon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools