Topic

12 oz Momentum 50 Summer Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 12 oz Momentum 50 Summer Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

This is a simple summer quilt with 1" baffles.

Materials:

Momentum50 Black for the liner and Aegean Blue for the outer/shell (thru-hiker)
    30% overstuffed with 6.3 ozs 900 f/p down (thru-hiker)
    1" baffles spaced every 5" using 0.34 oz/sqyd cuben (zpacks)
    1/16" shock cord for the adjustable neck (zpacks)
    1/2" plastic D-Rings (quest)
    Small metal eyelits (quest)

Dimensions:

50" at the neck end tapering to 56" for the 2nd to 9th baffles, then tapering down to 40" at the foot end.

Total weight is 12.48 ozs.

The loft seems to have come out over 1 1/2" probably due to the 30% overstuff. I think this should be good down to 40 degrees easily, and probably into the 30's with a silk base layer/puffy jacket/wind shirt/sleep socks etc.

front

back

detail

detail2

loft

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

Great job Andy. I just finished a quilt using 1.1 oz nylon. Im considering doing another with M50, did you find it hard to with?

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks Bruce. M50 is easier to work with than SevenD or the old orange M50, but a little more slick and challenging than M90 or 1.1 oz nylon. It helped to use an iron on some of the edges prior to sewing. MYOG never ends. . .

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Great looking quilt!

How long is it?

Todd

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks Todd. It's 80" long. (I'm 6').

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Wow Andy,

that weight is SICK for a quilt that size. It wasn't that long ago that I didn't imagine a quilt that size could be so darn light!

Thanks for sharing.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Your quilt looks really good. What does something like this cost and how many man hrs. did you put into it. I'm contemplating buy a used sewing machine from one of our local thrift shops.
    My son would really love this and when he's not using it Dad will!

Dan

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Dang dude, we're gonna have to have a convention up in the Sierra this summer! LOL

Here's my version (essentially using your same exact dimensions), except I used 2" baffles & the full amount of 12oz from the kit: Quilt1

I figured I'd rather have 6oz extra of 900FP down than have to carry extra [non-loft] clothing. Either way, if you're over 10k, even in the summer, you know you can freeze your butt off if/when the temps go below 30.

I find it interesting that our lofts are perfectly in proportion to the amount of down fill. Here's what 12oz gets you with identical dimensions:Quilt2

My quilt came in @ 17.5 oz – our (very slight) weight difference, other than the 6oz of down, is probably due to my use of only buttons and no top tie. The other primary difference, but probably has no effect on weight, is the use of Karo baffles. I really like the way this has turned out, especially since I can shift down to/from specific areas.

If anyone is reading the full details of my construction, here's a link: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62019&skip_to_post=530355#530355

Last, but not least, I'm impressed with the compressibility. I'm putting the finishing touches on a new pack designed specifically around my BV450, this quilt and my (cut-down) Ridgerest. I'm going to post a full story, but here's a pic of how I sized out the dimensions of my myog (filled) stuff sack in order to derive the pack dimensions.

Note that I want the bear can in the middle of the pack (the bag on the left gets shoved to the bottom – clothes, extra go on top of the can to the right), not hanging outside, off the bottom, or some other potentially uncomfortable configuration.Quilt3Quilt4

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks Dan. The cost of the materials is about $60 in M50 (@$9.95/sqyd), $60 in down (@ $10/oz) plus a few dollars in hardware. There are probably about 10 hours of work involved, but I usually take my time over a few evenings after work. I try not to keep track of how long it takes. . . but it's fun to make and there's some satisfaction in using something that is homemade. Thru-Hiker.com has a good kit.

Thanks Hobbes. It looks like a Sierra quilt convention is in order! I like the Karo baffles, and very stylish color selection:) Thanks for the link w/ the info on construction, that was my next question. How do you like the breathability of the M50?

Glen Van Peski wrote a good article about how wearable insulation is inefficient (http://gossamergear.com/wp/support/how-to-go-lighter/shave-a-few-more-grams) and I agree. I used a similar 20 degree quilt with the old orange M50 and the full 12 ozs of down last summer on the JMT, it was toasty. The only other insulation I brought was a MB EX Light for the early mornings.

Here's the 20 degree quilt from last summer w/ the older funky carrot orange M50:

quilt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools