Topic

Late Start AT Thru Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Late Start AT Thru Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Gibbs
    BPL Member

@jaxom929

I'm starting a NOBO AT thru hike starting May 8th or 9th. I'm planning on finishing in about 4 months. Here is my current gear list. I'd love any feedback.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6435

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

The gear looks pretty good in my opinion, but that doesn't count for much as I've never hiked on the east coast. The only things I'd really question are if you really need a can opener, and if the R1 hoody isn't overkill.

Are you planning on packing canned food? I'm not sure if aluminum counts as a consumable because you still have to carry it after it's does holding food.

Also, have you already bought the BA Fly Creek Fast Fly? I imagine it'll be quite roomy, but if you're already using a bivy why not go with a tarp? You could save half a pound by getting a relatively cheap tarp, and a full pound if you went for something like the zpacks hexamid solo.

What excites me the most about your list, frankly, is your condiment of choice; Dave's Insanity is some delightfully hot sauce!

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

You won't need a windshirt on the AT. Especially not when you're already carrying a rain jacket.

I also think a Tarp would be a better choice than carrying a tent fly and poles. But if it works for you and you like then by all means go for it. Sometimes on a long trail like this you want some privacy and the tent fly is a good option from time to time.

That quilt set up may not be warm enough in the Whites and in Maine. I finished my AT hike in August and it was HOT, but from what I've heard from talking to others is that Maine can get chilly in September. Again you might sleep warm and it could work for you, but I think the quilt would be cold for the average man.

I don't see a guidebook on there. You won't need maps, but a good guidebook is essential.

I think you could easily leave the weather radio at home. You won't use it that much. Its one of those things that is neat when someone else is carrying it, but probably not used enough to bring.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would want a short sleeve shirt; maybe your sleeping shirt can suffice.
    I would take more than 11 g of soap; maybe the sanitizer will make up for it.
    I would nix the folding bowl and headlamp.
    I would nix the bivy, tent, or both and just go with a tarp.
    You might have to add a little sleep warmth when you hit New England.
    Looks like you're pretty close to me.

David Gibbs
    BPL Member

@jaxom929

Thanks for everyone's comments. I already have the tent, though the Fast Fly is what BA calls it when you use the tent with just the rain fly and groundcloth. So it functions like a somewhat heavier tarp. Wish I could have gotten a real tarp, but could only upgrade so much gear given my funds.

I have a 30 degree bag and a Nano Puff I'll probably have shipped to me towards the end. My guidebook is on my Nook. I realize this limits its usability, but it weighs nothing (since I was already going to bring the Nook.)

I'm still on the fence about some stuff like the radio, but I'll probably end up ditching it.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Good luck!

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I did my thru NOBO last year. Started March 29 and finished Aug 30th. With your timing — I don't know that the quilt will suffice once the temps drop (even wearing your rain jacket).

GEAR Suggestions:

1) Leave the windshirt (rain jacket will function the same — though for the warmer weather I had a DriDucks jacket, and a Precip for the colder season)

2) Bring a mini-compass (even with the excellent signage and your nook — I think it's just stupid to not have a little compass). Here is the one I used and loved :

http://www.amazon.com/Silva-Forecaster-610-Compass-Thermometer/dp/B000FAMTRW/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1335894055&sr=8-18

3) Tyvek Stuff Sack / Packliner — I think it will get destroyed really fast. Use a cheap $1.50 White 18L Compactor Bag from the grocery store (mine lasted 1,800 miles until I replaced it – even though it still worked fine).

4) DONT BRING the weather radio. If you have to hike in it – so be it. If you don't, then people will tell you where they are bailing out too, and you can simply follow the herd they flee in front of a storm.

5) LEAVE the bowl / cutting board, and eat out of a ziploc or your titanium cook pot.

Have fun !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools