Topic

Downsizing a DriDucks jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Downsizing a DriDucks jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

So I just got a set of DriDucks. Size medium (I usually wear small, even in normally sized jackets). Found in locally on sale, for less than I've seen online, and of course no shipping.

It's big, not impossible for occasional use, but I'm interested in tailoring some of the fullness out of the sleeves and torso.

Anyone tried this? Re-sealing seams w/o significant weight increase would be the concern.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Leaving the jacket bulky will allow more air flow so less sweating.

If you want to make it smaller, maybe French seam. See thru-hiker.com "projects". Sew a row of stitches making it smaller. Cut off excess to 1/4 inch from seam. Turn inside out and sew another row of stitches hiding the raw edge.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks, Jerry. I expect the slight "squishiness" of the fabric and French seam would prob. be waterproof enough, especially since my new seams would more or less be where pit zips are.

Hadn't thought about more air flow with the looseness. I'm going out for a couple nights this weekend and rain is in the forecast–think I'll just pack the jacket as-is and see how it does.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools