Topic

Mesh hip belt pouch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mesh hip belt pouch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Irwin

@chris-89

I've just bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail to replace my ill-fitting and heavier Osprey Atmos. I have yet to take delivery of it, but I'm already planning some modifications.

One of the things I really liked about the atmos was the lightweight mesh hip belt pockets, so I'm thinking of making something similar for the vapor trail. However, I only really used them to store trail snacks in, so I don't really need a zip. I was thinking of creating a mesh pouch with an elasticated top to close the pouch into the hip belt and keep everything secure.

I have no prior sewing knowledge, other than the occasional button, or hole in my T-shirt. But I do have a friend with a sewing machine.

Has anyone done anything similar? Or does anyone have any advice as to what materials I could use, and how I could attach it?

Thanks

Aaron Bergman

@aaronb50

I'm getting a new UL pack soon (haven't yet decided which) but none of the ones Im looking at come with a hip belt pocket standard. I have not tried it yet, but I am planning on sewing on a granite gear compression sack pouch (the stuff sack for the stuff sack) it seems large enough to hold plenty of snacks, etc. and will be easy to attach.Mesh pouchGranite gear stuff sack case

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

You should take a look at Zimmerbuilt.com in the accessory page. He makes some really nice add on pockets for your hip belt and shoulder strap. I have one for my belt and I absolutely love it. It's much easier to open and close than the built in pockets on most packs. There are other places that make these too, but I only have experience with the Zimmerbuilt ones.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

On my Gossamer Gear Miniposa – owned before they came out with their own add-on hip pockets – I bought two Eagle Creek size XS zipper pouches. They have a tiny webbing loop on each end, one of which has a huge plastic clip. I sawed the clip off, ran paracord through each of the loops, secured each with a cord lock, slipped them over the hip belt, and cinched the cord locks tight enough they didn't slip over the hipbelt buckles, but not so tight they bent the hip belt webbing. Works like a charm, sorry I don't have the weight at my fingertips. These sacks do have a coating inside so they're not 100% mesh, but you can poke holes in the bottom if you need drain holes, and you can see inside of them from the outside.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

chris, i've an item– essentially what you described– that might qualify.
    it's actually the stuff sack to my montane featherlight jacket. i NEVER use it, it's literally sitting in my gear box. yours if you wants. as for size, you could likely fit some small items in it– lip balm, a pair of lightweight liner gloves, maybe a small-sized snack. toggle closure, velcro attachment and mesh for breathability. need a pic? lt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools