Topic

8d for ultralight shorts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 8d for ultralight shorts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Would 8d be a good fabric to use for hiking shorts (7d is out of stock at ti-goat) or is there something better to use? Also what do people use for pants? I am having trouble weeding through all the info when google searching. Thanks!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It seems like 7D or 8D is too flimsy for shorts or pants

I like to use Supplex but it's not ultralight. Keeps sun out (+50 SPF). Bugs can't put their probiscus through it. Not rainproof but fairly lightweight so it doesn't absorb a lot of water so it dries quickly.

3.7 oz/yd2. My shorts = 6 oz. Pants = 12 oz. Maybe this is too heavy for you.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hey Jerry, could you post a picture of your supplex pants and shorts? I was thinking about making some out of that material, but I wanted to know what the material was like. I have a sample of it, but I don't know how it will shape up.

What are your thoughts on the material?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Shorts:

shorts

Pants pattern:

pattern

There are two pieces – right and left – which are mirror images of each other. Plus two pocket pieces.

The shorts are the same as the pants except shorter.

You could make your own pattern from a pair of pants that you have.

First sew the right and left together on the front. Second sew the right and left together on the rear. Third sew together on the inseam. Fourth sew on the pockets. Fifth hem the bottoms. Sixth hem the top, making a sleeve for the cord.

I use french seams.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Jerry,

That looks pretty good for the pants. I am currently using some Mountain Hardware khaki pants that I like but are a little heavier than they need to be. I don't use shorts very much and would like to find something a little lighter for them.

What was your source for purchasing supplex?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

owfinc.com – get the "2 ply" which is a little lighter

probably quest, seattle fabrics,…

I usually get it from the local fabric store – the Mill End Store – but you never know what you get.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thanks Jerry,

I understand pants patterns and all that. When I said shape up, I meant how you like supplex for pants haha. Quite confusing I know.

So, how have you liked the material for pants and shorts?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I wear Supplex shorts and pants all the time

Very comfortable against the skin

Very durable

"I understand pants patterns and all that."

What's amazing is that topologically, when you sew together those two pieces of fabric you end up with that 3 dimensional object

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

It is amazing. I like your pattern as well. Nice looking pants Jerry! Thanks!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Some confusion here. 7D and 8D refer to the fibres, NOT to the fabric weight. Microfibre fabric using 7D fibres can be quite strong. But air-textured fibres are stronger. Supplex = Taslan; both use air-textured fibres. I LIKE IT.

See our MYOG articles for more patterns:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_trousers.html
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/notes_from_the_field_bushwacking_shell.html

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Nice article about MYOG pants. I don't remember reading that before.

My pants are very similar. Couple of minor differences – French seams, just make pockets straight so you can just fold over rather than have extra curved piece, I have elastic at pants bottom to reduce drafts, I have an elastic at the waist to hold up the pants plus I have a nylon cord that I tie if I want to carry heavy items in pockets without pants falling down.

But the color? Purple? I don't know about that : )

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> But the color? Purple? I don't know about that : )
    Wimp!

Seen the DirtyGirl gaiters?

Cheers

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Should have the material in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

"Some confusion here. 7D and 8D refer to the fibres, NOT to the fabric weight. Microfibre fabric using 7D fibres can be quite strong. But air-textured fibres are stronger. Supplex = Taslan; both use air-textured fibres. I LIKE IT."

No confusion. These folks actually know what they are talking about. When some one here says 7D, they mean, SevenD, but every one knows what they mean(well almost everyone). The same goes for the 8D, these are references to specific milled fabrics, not threads. Maybe you would have to spend more time on the forum to catch all these inside references.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Josh

Good point. Confusion between 7 denier fibres and SevenD fabric.
    Thanks

Cheers

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Jerry,

I picked up the material you suggested from owfinc and completed a pair of pants. I am pretty happy with the results. I really like the fabric. I used a combo elastic and drawstring waist, two rear pockets, two front pockets. Total weight came to 7.54 oz saving me 5.5 oz off the pants I had been using. Not bad. Thanks to everyone for your input.

pants1

pants 2

sorry for the picture quality but a cell phone is all I have for pics.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Nice looking pants!

I put an elastic at the bottom of the legs. Tight enough so that there are no drafts without constricting. Keeps the cuffs out of the dirt.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Those look very nice James! It actually convinced me to order some supplex from OWFINC to make a pair of my own. Did you use the pattern found in the MYOG article on this site?

I've been on a mission to find the perfect pair of hiking pants, and I don't know why I never thought to just sew my own.

How breathable are they, would you be able to hike in summer with them?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Very breathable

I use mine in the summer

I usually wear shorts, but I like the pants for the sun protection

However, wearing pants when it's hot makes me sweat, but probably any fabric would be the same

The Supplex/Taslan is also good for insects – too tight a weave for them to bite through

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Awesome, thanks Jerry. Looking forward to making them. I'll report back in a couple weeks when they're done.
    I still need to figure out a pattern to use though. Maybe a pair of old jeans or something

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"I still need to figure out a pattern to use though. Maybe a pair of old jeans or something"

Jeans work

Did you look at Roger's article? He has a pattern.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools