Topic

Just for fun: Cuben Wallet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Just for fun: Cuben Wallet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Put this together from some scraps to help get some more planning/sewing experience. Not really for the back country but kind of fun.

wallet

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A great practice piece, for sure.

But how much does it weigh?!?

Does a ULer only buy groceries in quantities just below $20, $40, etc, so as to get no small bills and leave only a few cents of change behind? And a SULer, of course does that in increments of $100.

It was striking that over 28 miles in the Grand Canyon 10 days ago, the $20 bill I brought weighed much, much less than the lemonades, powerbars, etc, that it bought at Phantom Ranch.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

That's neat. I want one. My leather wallet is too thick.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

5.3 grams empty
    I think credit card is the way to go. Of course you always take the chance of ending up at a place that doesn't take cards.

David, how was phantom ranch?

I have a friend that just came back from phantom ranch. They went down and back out the same day. The interesting thing was that they met a lot of resistance from the park for wanting to do it in a day. They acted like it couldn't be done. They were done by 3pm

Justin,

The hard part about the wallet is having to check to make sure you have it throughout the day. I am use the feeling a thick wallet there.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Great job! That's a really sweet sewing project that ought to teach someone a lot. I say that because it's interested me to possibly try one.

For those interested and wanting one, Waben makes a sweet one. http://www.goout.hk/2010/05/24/cuben-wallet-waben/ . No affiliation, but I have one and I really like it, very thin which was my big reason for getting one.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Now you are really hard core. You can buy a Tyvek wallet from MOMA in NY…The photos on our blog is the superman version, but my daughter bought me the map of Manhattan version—just in case I get lost backpacking in Central Park.

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/our-blog/forgetreigomoma

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools