Topic

Camera comparison help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Camera comparison help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

So I've been all hot and bothered about getting a Canon s100 after all the suggestions. I debated the s95, but ebay has them for about $280, best I could find new was $330 w/tax. Then I got to thinking I wanted the extra 2 megapixels, and the geotagging, and the wider angle lens.

My coworker today suggested the Lumix, which I was all raring and ready to shoot down. I'd essentially save $255. I wouldn't get video capture (which I rarely use). I'd have a worse sensor, more megapixels. Smaller LCD (don't care). I'd lose my manual control and ability to shoot RAW (things I've never used, but could see myself using). I'd get some better battery life to boot. Can someone shed some light on whether or not I'm missing anything? I'd appreciate it. My gut says s100, but the price tag makes me think twice, or well, realistically 10x, to make sure it's a smart decision for me.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH25: $130
    16 megapixels, 4608 x 3456 (better)
    1/2.33" sensor
    White balance presets 4
    Can’t shoot RAW
    8x optical zoom (better)
    Focal length (equiv.) 28 – 224 mm (better zoomed in)
    No manual focus
    2.7” lcd
    230k preview dots
    Minimum shutter speed 60 sec
    Flash range 5.8 m
    No video
    No microphone
    No GPS
    Battery Life (CIPA) 250 (better)

Canon s100: $385
    12 megapixels, 4000 x 2248
    1/1.7-inch sensor (better)
    White balance presets 7 (better)
    Can shoot RAW (better)
    5x optical zoom (better)
    Focal length (equiv.) 24 – 120 mm (better wide angle)
    Manual Focus (better)
    3” lcd (better)
    460k preview dots (better)
    Flash range 7 m (better)
    1080p video (better)
    Microphone (better)
    GPS (better)
    Battery Life (CIPA) 200

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Every camera that I've had recently that cannot shoot Raw, I've been very unhappy with. All cameras that I've had that do shoot Raw, I keep them in that mode and don't look back.

"Minimum shutter speed 60 sec" That doesn't sound good at all.

"No microphone" That seems inconvenient for video.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It's an extremely competitive world. You Get What You Pay For.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"You Get What You Pay For."

You could write an article on that.

Then other people feel that they are paying for something and not receiving it fully.

–B.G.–

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Michael,

They're two very different items and a nearly impossible comparison, like choosing between a kitten and a cantaloupe.

The S100 is Canon's third-time-is-a-charm effort in the series, correcting the prior problems, except the horrid battery capacity. The Lumix is a decent, cheap beginner's camera that will take likewise decent pics and you won't be too upset if you leave it sitting on a boulder somewhere.

If you're considering plunking down S100 bucks, you need to consider its direct competition, which include the Oly XZ1, Panny LX5, Fuji X10 and various other advanced compacts containing the letter X.

Maybe look at photos you aspire to take and determine whether the camera(s) you're considering can produce similar images. If it's snapshots you're after, nearly anything will do so buy low. If you want to extend your reach, then you'll want better tools.

Happy shopping,

Rick

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

I appreciate the advice. I appreciate your experience, which FAR outweighs mine.

I'm number obsessed, and the lack of being able to compare megapixels AND sensor size vs other cameras with different numbers in some meaningful way is killing me.

It pains me that the s100 gets a 3.5/5 on amazon, when uber cheap cams get 4.5/5. I get why, absolutely and without question, but it makes for a mental hurdle. Different reviewers, different wants, different expectations. I get it.

I'll work on it. Thanks for the thoughts gents

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Some cameras are good for photographers, and other cameras are good for people who just take pictures.

For most people, a higher number of megapixels just allows them to print high quality at a larger size, and they very rarely print anything at a large size, so it really doesn't matter once you have 10-15 megapixels.

Sensor size is tricky. The smaller the sensor is, the closer the pixels are packed together, and that closeness tends to contribute to color noise. The smaller the sensor is, the cheaper it is to manufacture. The smaller the sensor is, the easier it is for a given lens to give longer telephoto magnification.

–B.G.–

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Well, the good news is you can't really go wrong. As I think was noted in your first thread, reviews by the unwashed masses should generally be taken with large grains of salt. (Large, like the ones put out for cattle to lick.) Your own creativity and skill level will have a far greater impact on the quality of your pictures than any feature difference in cameras currently on the market.

David Pogue wrote a few articles on his nytimes blog arguing against the megapixel myth, which included making 16×24 inch test prints and challenging people to tell the difference (they're generally indistinguishable unless you are doing massive cropping). So, for me anything beyond 6 MP is plenty.

A few years back I purchased the SD780 based on it being pretty much the smallest camera in the Canon lineup. When I want more features, I go to my Nikon SLRs, but as the saying goes, the best camera is the one that's with you. If this is your only camera, you may want more features.

Now, none of the above may have been particularly helpful in making your decision, so here's something that might:

Given that camera and lens quality is "more than good enough", I would consider the most useful feature on a compact to be the exposure compensation adjustment. The second most useful feature, one that many compacts don't have, is a flash compensation adjustment. Leaving everything else on auto, and just adjusting those, should give you the best control over your shots.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

RAW can be a deal breaker for some but I honestly don't think that even 1% of digital camera owners use it …
    I used to work in a busy centrally located camera shop 9in Melbourne) that had a very good reputation for good prints at a reasonable cost.
    So we did a lot of prints for keen amateurs and semi pro users.
    Every few weeks someone would walk in with RAW files… (no , like most labs we did not do RAW for customers…)
    The point here is that like every 13 year old thinks every other one is having sex, many amateur think that unless they have RAW the end will come but it isn't at all like that…
    Having said that I just pointed a regular member towards a video camera that shoots video RAW files…
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Having said that I just pointed a regular member towards a video camera that shoots video RAW files…"

You did, but I'm not going to hold that against you.

I've been shooting Raw files for ten years now.

–B.G.–

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

I wound up with a s100, thanks for the help and the education, and curse you for my thinning wallet =)

Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

Hi,
    Curious what you like and don't like about your S100 now that you have had it awhile.
    Thanks
    Steve

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I'm in the same dilemma as well. I have a Nikon D5000 with a bunch of lenses to go with. But carrying it on a hiking trip is a pain and I am looking buying something lightweight and can take awesome pictures.

I do read a lot about S100 but I don't need the ability to take raw pictures, what I should I go with. I want a true point and shoot with absolute best quality picture. I'm not loyal to any brands. If that helps. On top my mind I have Canon Elph HS300 but I want to listen to other options I might have here.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I do read a lot about S100 but I don't need the ability to take raw pictures, what I should I go with. I want a true point and shoot with absolute best quality picture."

For absolute best quality you want to shoot RAW photos.

–B.G.–

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

For now the Sony RX100 gets the "best advanced compact" digicam prize. If you can do without an evf or articulated display, that's my suggestion today. Photokina will probably see new models rolled out, and so it goes.

Cheers,

Rick

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Holymolly RX100 is seriously expensive (I mean really expensive like most light weight backpacking stuff). But I see it lacks in wide angle department with only 28mm not 24mm like canon offerings.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

> Photokina will probably see new models rolled out, and so it goes.

I'm wondering what that will bring — some models are old enough to be due for an update. If I were in the market right now, I'd try to wait until after Photokina just to see what it brings — it's only a bit over a month away now.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Here's an early review from a photographer-blogger I've followed for a good while. FWIW he shoots an M9, so appreciates high quality, relatively compact cameras. He compares it against the $2k Leica X2, among others.

"I will keep this simple. The Sony RX100 is the best compact camera to ever be released in the digital world. Ever. Period. End of story. Will to be the best for long? Who knows but I do know it is not a camera that will hold you back from taking any kind of photos you want. If you have the passion, the creativity and drive you can make amazing photos with the RX100. I highly recommend it. I bought it."

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/26/the-sony-rx100-digital-camera-review/

Cheers,

Rick

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

WOndering if it will be worth sinking so much money, don't know if the price will drop anytime soon.

Also Sony has a offer going on where you get 2 yr accidental damage replacement for free which is normally worth $89. Decisions—Decisions.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools