Topic

New Pack from Gossamer Gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Pack from Gossamer Gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

I am looking for a pack for going SUL This summer. The conditions will be mild enough to allow me to experiemnt with this (no insulating jacket, gloves, ect,). My base weight should be in the neighborhood of 5.5 lbs. Does anybody know anything about the new pack that is supposed to be coming from Gossamer Gear in the near future? I read on one of the forums that it is supposed to be something between the G5 and G6, which sounds perfect for my 6 day trip. The G5 looks too big, but the G6 looks too small and I certainly don't want to buy anything before the new pack arrives. I think that the best choice might be the MLD prophet. Anybody like their prophet? I don't expect the total weight of my pack to ever exceed 17 lbs on the trip. Any experience or advice here would be most appreciated.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Stephen, 5.5 is really quite light! good for you young man! you are going to be very light on your feet to say the least.

However, I think we (perhaps i shouldn't be speaking for others!) normally consider <=5.0lb to be SUL.

We ought to come up with a "standard" (so to speak), i.e. "common ground" that all will understand the same.

When i first found this website, here was (and still is) my understanding (please correct me if any thinks that i am wrong):

20lb or less = L (Light)
    10lb or less = UL
    5lb or less = SUL
    4lb or less = XUL
    3lb or less = FL (Fornshellishly light – ok. just kidding here since i don't have name for it)
    2lb or less = IRTMFACPE (immediately report to medical for a complete psychiatric evaluation)

these are just suggested divisions. feel free to come up with better ones. this is just a start.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Stephen,

If you are talking about the Maraposa Light coming out….It is a super pack… Basically the same as the Maraposa but slimmed down to 5.5 inches of depth…It does come in at about 16-17 oz …. But it carries oh so well… Hugs the back… I've been using one on several trip this fall and winter… It carried 18 pounds of winter load full up very well on one trip for me… really nice for fall weekends averaging 12-14 full up loads… I do hope the roll down canoe bag closure is adaopted over the draw string top closure… have to wait and see…. lot sturdier than the G6… back pad pocket is a true blessing.

Pan

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

in my mind, I was lighter because I am bringing a 10 0z camera.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

PJ, et al,

For several years now most reference to UL that I've noted begins at 12 lbs base…. otherwise a standard is nice to have….

There was discussion for a while of arriving at SUL when getting into the 5s…. which was then half again the original "12lb UL Standard"… Then the 5 pound challenge sorta set a new mark… Personally there is more alignment with UL discussion beyound just BPL with the 12 and 6 pound marks…imho.

Pan

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

PJ, the < 2# category could be called SOL!

Randy K

@roosterk

Locale: SW OK

Actually, there is another pack coming out from GG that will replace bothe the G5 and G6. I don't remember the name, and can't access my deleted email from my home account at work. I'd suggest signing up for the Gossamer Gear newsletter, they send out a mailing every month that often has some bargain deals in addition to a "whats coming" feature. It's an interesting resource from a real quality company.
    roosterk

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Below is quoted from the Gossamer Gear Newsletter:

NEW STUFF

1. The Mariposa Plus. This is taking a long time to get to market, thanks for your patience, we think it will be well worth the effort and time. Jeff is going to look at samples next week and we are now hoping for a mid-March release.

2. The Miniposa. Ditto the Plus, with the release being a bit later.

3. I've made a pact with myself to keep my big mouth shut until we actually have product ready to go before I shoot off here about all the cool stuff we're working on, especially regarding release dates. Thanks many times over for your patience in that regard. There are a bunch of things in development, some mentioned before, some not, but this season should see several pack accessories such as waist belt pockets, stuff sacks, pack covers, and a host of others including a new pack, the rain thingy, maybe some new Lightreks, you get the picture.

paul johnson

@pj

Ok, Stephen. I'm with you. 5.5lb – 10oz = you are SUL, IMO.

I've never owned a camera in my life & i'll still go with you on this one since you could leave the camera at home. However, i think that others do, in fact, count their journaling gear, but i could be mistaken on this point (i don't carry any journaling gear either)?

paul johnson

@pj

Pan,

I misspoke (in other words i was wrong). I didn't remember the correct weight that i was thinking of in the source that i was thinking of. The source that i was thinking of was BPL's Primer on Lightweight Backpacking.

I'll go with your 12lb weight. Just checked and that is precisely the weight quoted near the beginning of BPL's Lighweight Backpacking Primer – Backpacking 101 article/booklet.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

I signed up for the GG newsletter and appreciate all of your comments. This is an exciting time for gear releases. Thanks everyone.

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Howdy ya'll,
    There are a couple of new things coming up that you may be referring to in this thread.

First will be the Miniposa as mentioned by Jack , thanks amigo. Mr. T gets some credit here for egging me on to do this and we've both been carrying one for awhile now. The first samples of the Mini will be in my hands in a week and after tweaking will go into a limited production first run and will be in grey sil only.

Second, and there is no release date on this, is the "Murmur"
    which is basically the pack that Glen is carrying these days and is a G5/Whisper hybrid or a Whisper with side pockets, a very minimal webbing waistbelt, and a stripped down pad holder.

As always I'm here at [email protected] feel free to email with questions, ideas, feedback, etc.

ps. Hey Jack, looks like we better get some pictures up, you first.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I’ve been looking forward to this pack too. So far the only picture I’ve seen is the prototype featured in the SUL Backpacks Review Summary, here. Its in the third pic from the top, in the middle of the lineup.

I didn’t think a lot of SUL’ers included camera gear in their 5lb limit, maybe I’m wrong. I don’t anyway!
    :^)

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Grant,

I'm currently heading down the high speed trail to the Keys…will be a couple of weeks till I get arround to posting pics… you better go first…

Working on the proto types of new gear is keeping us busy right now also…. Trail Days should be a cornacopia (sp?)of cool new gear…

Your(Maraposa mini)new pack really is sweet.

Pan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools