Topic

Emigrant Wilderness-HWY 108

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Emigrant Wilderness-HWY 108

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Creek side at the camp site.

The Middle Fork of the Stanislaus River was flowing good.

Daredevil

img0634

Car Camping Heaven

The Backpacking season is open on HWY 108..I wish we had brought our packs. There is limited snow at the higher elevations and we could of easily made it to Sword Lake. Strange Winter year indeed!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks for the scouting report Jay. From the pictures it looked like a great time.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

nice! looks good. ill have to start planning.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Jay – did you get up to Kennedy Meadows at all?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I got up to the Columns of the Giants to show the boy. There were a lot of cars passing us going further up. Kennedy Meadows has to be open soon because of the lack of snow. We car camped at Brightman Flats(6,000ft) with no snow anywhere. In my opinion backpacking season is open on HWY 108. The high peaks were all lacking in a snow-pack..Let the games begin!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Were mosquitoes an issue? If so, how bad?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Alex, I am sure they are….

Thanks for the report Jay!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I did not see one mosquito. Thank goodness I forgot my DEET..Me and the boy had zero bights. Maybe the lack of snow will lead to fewer mosquitoes which is the only benefit to a below average snow year.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Good to hear. I'm heading out for a 2 night trip into Desolation Wilderness (47F was the high today, brrr) in the morning and hitting up Emigrant Wilderness in two weeks. I'm really trying to make the most out of this season since the winter (downhill & xcountry) sucked!

Update:
    The quick trip into the NW corner of Deso was a blast. We encountered more snow than I anticipated, but made the most of it:

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Alex

Did you make it up to Emigrant yet? If so how was it? I talked to a ranger at Summit Ranger Station and she said the road to Crabtree will be open 5/23/12. I'm planning on doing a 3 nigher starting 5/26. I'm hopping they will open the road to Crabtree!

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

I was in Clark Fork area last weekend, and while there were definitely patches of snow (some substantial) at and below 8000 feet, it was melting fast. Otherwise, it was already pretty dry and warm (except for the running water, brrrr). I bet that road opens (road to Lost/Sword Lakes already open). Curious (future trip planning), what are you doing for your 3 day loop?

edit: OP, awesome pics and trip! Sorry to diverge… my trip to Clark Fork was with my 6 yo, his first backpack trip, a total blast.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Chris,

No, the trip is now planned for June 1 – 3. I also called the Summit Ranger station yesterday and was told that the access gates towards Crabtree TH would open May 23rd and that was when they would begin clearing snow and downed trees if needed. The woman I spoke with wasn't very specific about trail conditions since they rely on reports from hikers, which should start to trickle in after the gates open.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Alex

I'm pretty sure we talked to the same woman. She was not very specific with me either.
    I will give you an update when I come back on 5/29.

Charles

Thanks for the info. I have been getting the same reports from others.

As for our trip. We are doing 3 nights starting at Crabtree. I think we are going to do something like this.

Note:this is not my trip planning but I found it on the web and liked it

http://laddish.net/events/2007/0831.emigrant_backpacking_trip/2007_0831_Emigrant_Wilderness,%20Profile,%20level%205.JPG

Or

I was thinking of doing a shorter hike from Crabtree to Deer Lake, North to Upper Meddows, to Lake Vally back to Crabtree. I'm leaning towards the shorter hike so we can get some good fishing time in, go on some day hikes and we don't really know what the conditions are.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/fsm91_057634.gif

Anybody know some good fishing spots?? and what to use?

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The trail from Lake Valley down to Crabtree can be hard to follow in spots. I've met people who tried this and ended up at Bear Lake. Once you get on the downhill, it's a long grind.

In my experience fishing with flies is better in the streams while both flies and spinners work in the lakes. Fishing seems to be really variable depending on which water, when you fish, and when you're there.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Thanks Richard

Thanks for the info on the Lake Valley to Crabtree trail. I was wondering about that. On my map it is listed as rarely up kept trail.

I think we will be taking the more southern rout. With the snow melt the lakes should be beautiful!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Chris,

Yes, please do post an update when you return – I'd really appreciate it.

As of now, I think I'm going to plan to start from Kennedy Meadows rather than Crabtree TH, but the options for 2-nights from there seem a bit limited. I'll either have to get creative, add a night to the trip, or put-in some record mileage days. Anyone care to offer a 3-day/2-night route from Kennedy Meadows? I'd like to keep day one mileage under 10mi due to our late morning arrival to the TH. Thanks.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Chris,

Awesome, thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools