Topic

angora rabbit offers LW insulation…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear angora rabbit offers LW insulation…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Angela Deppe

@bramblehollow

Angora rabbit fur is 7-8 times warmer than wool, and 11-13 microns…it is really never used to make garments on its own because of its excessive warmth. Has anyone out there ever used it? I have an exceptionally kind and prolific bunny whose output just sits in baggies waiting for a purpose…when I read about 'possum fur' garments, my ears had pricked up. From what I remember, there isn't much stretch in the fiber, so it isn't easy to spin, but I have spun some by hand and knitted a square of it for kicks years ago; it was so warm that my hand became uncomfortably warm almost immediately. The downside is that it felts easily.
    Any thoughts?

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I own, use, and like some long underwear made in Germany from a combination of wool, Angora and synthetic. They were on sale on the Sierra Trading Post site.

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

I used to use an angora and wool sweater that my mother had in a nice greeny blue for backpacking trips in the early 80's. (I was 13 years old and only 5 foot tall) It was incredibly warm, soft and light however, it had the durabilty of tisue paper. The elbows wore out in only a few trips. I continued to use it until the shoulders wore through. If they could increase the durability this wool would be perfect.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools