Topic

cagoule

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cagoule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Has anyone ever made a cagoule? I am leaning towards this type of rain coverage instead of a poncho or jacket with pants, reason being, I like having the arms for warmth but easy to slip on when canoeing if it begins to rain. I will be up in the Addy's where the summer temps can be cool when it rains. I saw that Rainshed has a pattern. I've never worn one of these things but just might be what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've made a number of cagoules, all based on a North Face (I think) cagoule I purchased in 1973. It uses a single piece for the upper part, other than hood, so there are no seams except under the arms and around the neck. You won't win a fashion show wearing it, though.

I made a pattern from an old sheet from the cagoule and have been using the pattern ever since. Actually I still use the original cagoule…I washed it to remove all the old PU coating and now use it as a windbreaker, but it is not up to UL standards.

I made a version of the cagoule that had Gore-Tex upper parts (hood, body+sleeves) and coated lower sections, to save money. My wife used one for years and we still use it on occasion.

These days we use lighter weight rain jackets, but I may make another cagoule if the mood strikes.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Elliot, what did you like about the cagoule? I may just go with a poncho…time for experimenting

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Donna,

My cagoules are large and fit over anything, summer and winter, and they fit just about anyone (at least someone who doesn't care about wearing oversized clothes). Being large they vent well, but may need to be tamed a bit in high winds. I almost always use them with the bottoms folded up, rarely did I ever unsnap the bottom part, maybe in heavy rain once or twice. I generally skipped bringing rain pants. They were easy to make, too. Mine have one big kangaroo pocket in front, perfect for throwing in your hat or gloves.

One downside is I was once rapelling down a vertical face in the winter with a cagoule on and it began to get sucked into the rapelling device. I quickly stopped and got it unjammed, but had I gone a few feet further I might have become immobilized by the taught fabric, unable to do anything about it, perhaps becoming unable to breathe! Lesson: be careful about what you wear when rapelling, and be sure nothing can get sucked in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools