Topic

Finished quilt for my 11 year old

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished quilt for my 11 year old

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Finished this project Friday, ready for a short trip next weekend.

1 yard 5 oz/sy Climashield Apex (Thru-hiker)
    1 yard black 1.1 ripstop w/ DWR (DIY Gear Supply)
    1 yard light blue 1.1 calendared ripstop (DIY Gear Supply)
    Bits of grosgrain, drawcord, 2 mini-corlocks and some grosgrain straps I had lying around.

Cost: <$30.

Finished weight: 11.7 oz. 60" finished length, 37" top width, with curved taper to 26" foot width, starting at 45"

Eventually, I'll add snaps for footbox and top. Thinking plastic snaps from kamsnaps.com.

Nice done-in-a-day project. Should have left seam opening for turning right side out in foot end, rather than head, since the top stitching wound up a little funky and being in the footbox would have hidden it. Next time.

Here's some pics:

quilt front

quilt back

Minquilt

Edit: added finished weight.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I just ordered 2yrds of Climashield 2.5 and 2yrds of Momentum 50. Going to do the same but probably make the quilt 58" wide x 72" long for myself. Might make a few to sell as well, if it turns out to be a fairly easy process. Just need to get some 1" Omni tape, and I'm good to go, once the Thru-hiker order comes in.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Thanks, Michael.

Did you mean 4 yards of M50? If I make another for myself, that's prob. what I'll use, instead of the 1.1. For a kid, I think the increased durability (and decreased cost) is worth the extra ounces (note finished weight added above–left that out first post).

I found working with Apex easier than I thought–I had been particularly concerned that sewing with the insulation against the feed dogs might be an issue, but no problems.

I considered omni tape or velcro, but want to try snaps. My kid's legs don't really hang off the end of a 3/4 Prolite, so no big deal if there's some gaps.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Oops, yeah I'd need 4yrds, 2yrds per side, thanks, I did order 4yrds of the M50. Do you need to add any stitching across the middle of the quilt to help hold the insulation in place.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

impressed that your 11 yr old fits, that is basically the size of mt protege which i recommend for much younger kids.

-Tim

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

She's a small kid–4' 6". Not sure how long it will fit her, but her sister stopped growing at 5'. And she's got a little brother who can use it when she outgrows it (of course, he wants his own "right now").

Kinda nice not having to risk too much in materials, my first shot at quilt making.

Angela Alexander

@crayon

I have been following your questions on this topic as I have 2 little girls who I am making a double for- either a quilt or a bag… They sleep together as it is now, so it is no big deal. And your daughter is about the size of my 9 year old- although my girl is quite tall for her age- funny cuz I am only 4' 11"…

Maybe I will get her hand-me-down!

Your daughter looks quite happy!!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools