Topic

Backcountry.com return policy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backcountry.com return policy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

It looks like backcountry.com has a return policy similar to REI where you can try out new gear and still return it even though it has been used.

Is this correct?

I really like the REI policy, however, as my gear gets lighter, I have less options there. Having another option, even if it involves some shipping, is still a plus.

Thanks,

Rick

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yes.

I buy goods from them on occasion and they have a no questions asked policy on returns.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I've purchased a number of items from Backcountry.com. The customer service is just as good as REI, plus they carry brands REI doesn't (Rab, Montbell). No shipping charge on orders over $50.

I have returned a few items I used and wasn't happy with — Backcountry will deduct the cost of return shipping from the refund, and give you a pre-paid shipping label you can print. Attach the label to your package, and drop off at the UPS store…

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

When I'm shopping for gear, I generally look at backcountry first for just this reason.

Yeah, I could get it maybe a few bucks cheaper at campmor or STP, but I really really like being able to use it for a while, and if it doesn't work out, I send it back.

I've actually only done this with one piece of gear: I bought a TNF sleeping bag, lofted it up, checked it out, decided I liked it and cut the tags off. 6 weeks later SaC posted up the Stoic Somnus 30, I snagged it, and compared them side by side. When I decided the Somnus bag was a better value, I simply returned the TNF, sans tags.

To be clear, I don't advocate the 'gear rental' method when someone buys an item, uses it for a season and then sends it back, but being able to actually *use* an item a time or two before deciding if it meets my demands is pretty huge for me.

Also, living in CO, ordering stuff on the weekend or Monday AM from BC (in SLC) gets it to my house on Wednesday with free ground UPS.

Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

Thanks to all for the prompt replies. I often try to find used items first, however, the good stuff typically is hard to find and goes fast. I like the fact I now have another place that will give me a chance to try something before I decide if I want it even if this means I have to pay a bit more for that luxury.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools