Topic

Any experience with salewa fire vent shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any experience with salewa fire vent shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I found these shoes today in a shop near me. I have extremely narrow feet and was surprised to find that they fit me. The salesperson tried to discourage me from using them for backpacking–claiming that they are not substantial enough. They seemed at least as substantial as many of the trail runners touted on this forum. I'd be very curious to hear whether anyone out there has had any experience with this shoe.

http://www.salewa.us/product/tech-approach/ms-fire-vent/color/7500

http://www.backcountry.com/salewa-fire-vent-shoe-mens

Thanks,

rhz

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I'm not familiar with approach shoes but the soles don't appear to have very good traction as they appear fairly smooth. Again, I'm not familiar with this type of shoe but maybe some of the climbers in here could give you some direction. Eric Chan may know. Good luck.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Thanks Warren.

Perhaps someone could comment on the relative merits of approach shoes vs trail runners and light hikers. I'd be transitioning from a traditional clunky pair of boots and typically carry no more than 25lbs for a few days of backpacking at a time.

Any comments welcome!

thanks again

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

approach shoes work fine providing they fit yr feet and yr happy with the tread … some approach shoes have little to no tread … also watch out for the leather ones, while durable they take forever to dry …

remember that climbers use approach shoes on nasty talus and scrambling approaches with 30+ lb packs …

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi.

Thanks for your response. The pattern on the sole of this shoe consists in part of circles:tread

BTW: Are approach shoes generally designed to give a snugger fit than hikers?

Thanks again.

rhz

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the tread is not that aggressive, you may have issues on wet logs, mud or loose dirt …

however youll be like spiderman boulder hopping or on rocks …. the flatter the tread, the better the surface contact and thus friction

some approach shoes may be a tighter fit than normal, as a tighter fit generally is better for rock climbing … but at the end of the day it still needs to fit yr feet comfortably

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

I'm concerned about the tread. These will probably be returned. I appreciate your input.

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

Ive got a few pairs including these. I love the lacing on approach shoes and how well these can be made to fit (and i dont have narrow feet). The model with the lug sole definitely works much better for general walking especially in mud, slippery conditions etc. I'm not sure if they make the lug sole model in a vent style though. These you have do work extremely well for rock hopping but ive had a few slips on tracks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools