Topic

Performance/Durability of M50 as Windshirt Material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Performance/Durability of M50 as Windshirt Material?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Howdy,

For folks who have made windshirts out of Thru-hiker's M50 fabric, how has it worked out?

I'm thinking Liberty Ridge type designs or similar. Mostly wondering about wind-proofness, breathability and how well it holds up against pack wear. Also, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with M90 vs. M50 as windshirt material.

Thanks in advance.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Bump it up, while your feet are stompin'.

Anybody have input on the M50? Seems likes somebody's got to have made a windshirt out of this stuff… Any info. is appreciated. Thanks.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I just ordered the kit. Figured I would give it a try. I hope it is tough enough.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I received the M50 kit and cut up the pieces. My first impression of the material is that it will hold up to daily trail use but a stick or something would snag it. I tried to tear it by hand and couldn't do it. I'll let you know how it holds up.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Thanks James! Appreciate the heads up and I look forward to hearing your results. Good luck on your project – it'd be cool to see some pics of the finished product.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Sure thing.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Well, I finished it and am quite proud of it, as you can tell from the photo. I made a couple of modifications. I added a waistband with 1/16" shock cord. Waist band because it was a little shorter than I like in the front and shock cord to save weight. I also adder 1" double layer cuffs to have a nice durable finish without a raw edge exposed. I didn't use any shock cord in the cuffs because I like a loose fit around my wrists. I did add a little length to get plenty of coverage.

As far as durability goes, I have only had it out once but and feel good about it. Bushwhacking or climbing in it would be too much I am sure. I will post back later in the season once some miles have been put on it.

I will be making two more. One with a hood and one for my girl.

Weight 1.67 oz
    Size Medium with modifications
    Material M50

lrjacket

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Really nice windshirt with an impressive weight!

If you decide to sell that one to fund making the others, I'd be interested ;)

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Looks great bro!! Was it very hard to sew or anything? You went with the M50 right?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Hey thanks,

Tyler, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately Thru-Hiker has asked us not to use their design for commercial use so I will respect that. If you have any interest in MYOG thruhiker's Liberty Ridge kit was pretty easy to follow. If you can make a french seam and follow clear instructions you are half way there. I would highly recommend it as a project for anyone who is comfortable with a sewing machine.

Sean, It is M50 and It wasn't difficult to sew. It is all french seams except for the neckline which is what I believe would be called a rolled seam. The material is more difficult then cotton or the like but easier than Sil-Nylon in my opinion. certainly take the time to set your tensions just right. The hardest part for me was making sure the seams were flat as I sewed and not catching a little fold or other material I didn't want in the seam.

I found this page of Ray's to be very helpful in setting my machine tension http://www.rayjardine.com/papers/sewing-tips/index.htm

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Nice job James! Looks like a really nice piece of kit. I think I'll have to go ahead and make an order myself pretty soon. Couple of questions – if you don't mind, what's your height/weight? Just wondering about sizing – the medium looks to fit you pretty well. Also, is that the royal blue color? If so, I may have to wait until Paul gets some more of that color in for the kits – looks really sharp. Any comments on breathability? Anyway, nice work man. Look forward to hearing how it performs for you.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Color: The color is Aegean Blue. It looks nothing like the sample on Thru-Hikers web site. I like the color a lot. It is pretty close to what the camera captured.

Size: I am 5'10" and 160 lb, 19" torso, 34" pant size. The fit is excellent. I might suggest leaving an extra inch or two at the bottom hem of the front panel so you have more options for length. I felt it came up a little short but it wasn't too short. The back was plenty long though and you can trim either once the project is complete.

Breathablility: I found the breathability to be very good. I do however live in a high and dry climate and can't speak to how it will feel on a humid summer day. I think if you are wearing it to keep the wind or rain or cold off then you will probably have no issue with breathability. If you are in the sunny south climbing a mountain it will get clammy.

If you decide you want a hood this is a good one to integrate http://thru-hiker.com/projects/hood_pattern.php. You would add it instead of the collar. I used it for a Cuben rain jacket and was very pleased with the design and fit. It will be more difficult to sew then the rest of the jacket though. It's Curvy.

Good luck Nate.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

James, on the pattern, did you have the option for a trim fit or is it looser?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Nate, The only choices were XS-XL. In my opinion it is pretty true to size.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I used the liberty ridge wind shirt throughout the hiking season this year. I went out at least every weekend since I made the shirts (Ann has one too). After adding hoods to both of them they have performed great. I find them extremely durable and functional. As long as we were not hiking in direct summer sunlight the breathability was fine (think greenhouse). The hand of the fabric became nicer over time and feels quite pleasant now. M50 is a little plasticy to start. They are not water proof and wet out pretty quick even in a mild rain.

We are both going to these jackets along on our AT thru this year and I expect them to go the distance. I did make a third one just in case though..

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

James,

What did you use for a hood pattern?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I used this http://thruhiker.com/projects/hood_pattern.php
    I have used it for a couple Cuben raincoats too. I actually left The collar on and added the hood below.

Do you have one you are working on?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have a hoodless Liberty Ridge. For my money hoods are close to essential in northern climates so I'm considering modifying the current one or making another.

I've make a hood from that pattern but found it a bit too small for my tastes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools