Topic

Appalachian Trail in May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Appalachian Trail in May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dillon Beadle

@dbeadle24

Locale: South Louisiana

Toward the end of May me and three of my friends are going on a 5 day hike of the AT. We Plan to start at NewFounds Gap and head north. I have never hiked the AT nor have I camped in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I have read somewhere that you need to go to Ranger Stations/Outpost to get a permit and you have to call and make reservations too if you plan on staying at campsites and shelters. I dont plan to stay at a shelter but i do plan to stay at the campsite and tent. If anyone could help with advise I would be much appreciative.

Also, is it allowed to just get of the beating path and make your own campsite?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

The shelters are the only approved camp sites on the AT in the Smokies. You should call to reserve. Camping is not allowed off the established sites. You can sign up for a mandatory permit at the visitor center. There is one on the highway on each side of Newfound Gap (Sugarland and Oconoluftee). Have fun.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Take a look at the National Park Service website for the Smokies. As Ben said, you will have to stay at the shelters if you are hiking on the AT. Here is the link to the trip planner with numbers and info:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/2012-trip-planner-all.pdf

I highly recommend to call and book in advance. Have a great trip!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools