Topic

GG Kumo Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Kumo Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I'm pretty excited about the new GG packs. I like the clean look of that fold over lid. What do you guys think of the Kumo for a 5-night trip? It would be cool to line up at the beginning of that trip with nothing but a sleek, small Kumo on my back.

The bigger items in my kit are WM Highlight and Montbell Alpine light. Shelter is GG Spintwinn, which I typically carry in the mesh pocket. So the real issue is whether food will fit. I'm thinking it will be close.

Also, I'd expect my first day weight to come in around 20-22lbs. I do like a wide hipbelt, though, and I'm a little uncertain about the strapping belt.

Most of my prior packs have been MYOG, but I've hiked alot in the ULA Circuit (overbuilt, in my opinion) and the original GG Whisper (underbuilt, in my opinion).

Thoughts?

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

David, I have the 2012 Murmur which is basically the same pack, just lighter in some places. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem, though I don't have first hand experience with your kit – mine fits with 4 days of food (I'm confident 5 would have). My base weight is 9.25 lbs and it all fit, but is packed pretty tight at the start. SMD Trekker (in one outside water bottle pocket), MB ULSS #3 long, Neoair Xlite Large and then all the usual stuff. I LOVE this pack, with 12 lbs in it, I barely know it's there. I think it'd be fine above 20 lbs but obviously better once you get through some of that food, most of the time I don't even use the hip belt, it transfers some weight, but mostly it's used for balance.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools