Topic

The Citrus Trail: 45-mile Loop in Central Florida

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The Citrus Trail: 45-mile Loop in Central Florida

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

welcome to the florida trail

I recently returned from the Citrus Trail in Withlacoochee State Forest, Central Florida. It's the state's longest loop trail at 46 miles. I did it in three days, at around 15 miles a day, with some off-trail diversions.

This was my first hike in Central Florida. As expected of the state, It's fairly flat, no vistas or anything of epic scale, but It was unexpectedly beautiful. The details were captivating.

Shrooms

The trail is a mix of palms, pines, cacti, and oak. The terrain was dry scrub to jungly. I also encountered mysterious caves and limestone sinkholes.

unexpected jungle-y-ness

One of a handful of caves deep enough to enter

My company were lizards, turtle, deer, wild turkey, large raptors. Pulled off a few ticks, pestered by some biting flys, and very few mosquitos, which is a luxury in Florida

Hey buddy

The climate was Super dry, Super hot, highs of 92F. The nights were surprisingly cool. Down to 58. Was not prepared for how cold that would feel in a hammock. I've only used my hammock in the humid tropics (borneo and south florida).

Psychedelic

The trail was nearly completely devoid of any water. I have never done a dry trail before, and it was somewhat stressful. I do not think I will do that again. I did Cache water at trail and forest road intersections, but it was not enough. Partly I just didn't want to carry more than 3 litres at a time, and partly the heat dehydrating me faster than expected. I also expected to find at least some ponds or marshes. Ended up having to drink from scummy pond, puddle, and horse cistern. Aggressively filtered.

There were some great things about the dryness: no tarp needed, slept in the hammock under the stars. And very few mosquitos and other insects.

Some gear highlights:
    Shelter: Hennessy ultralite backpacker. Great for anywhere in FL, though a tent would have worked on account of the dryness. During the cool nights i lay on a torso length ridgrest with a crappy little blanket on top
    Pack: HMG Windrider. Having to carry so much water was a bit uncomfortable in this pack.
    Clothing: Wore running shorts and a merino tshirt almost the entire time
    Footwear: New balance MT10's were perfect
    Gaiters were a necessity!

The fully loaded Windrider

Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker

My food was mainly snack based, with one hot meal in the eve. Primarily fueled by coconut products*, like coco butter and cacao bliss (both from Artisana, recommended) , coconut bars (Oskri), some dark chocolate, and Stoats oat bars (also highly recommended, very calorically dense)). Dinners were instant mashed potatoes with dehydrated veg and a bouillon cube or miso. Also had quinoa which was delicious.

*I find coconut is an excellent fuel that doesn't cause a blood sugar roller coaster. The fatty acids are immediately usable as energy. It's also super-calorically dense.

Hypnotic pines

In the end, I highly recommend this loop for anyone in the state. Just figure out the water situation.

Full gallery here:
    http://tinyurl.com/c8kmggs

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

Thanks for the trip review. Looks like you had a great trip!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Brad,
    I really enjoyed your report and supplemental pictures. I've been starting to think about checking out the Florida Trail (big cypress section) next winter, so this was a timely find. Thanks for posting.
    Ike

Amos Swogger

@amosswogger

Thanks for posting. Did you see any other backpackers?

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

Why is it you say gaiters are a necessity? I have been debating about getting a pair for Florida hikes.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Amos, the entire time i saw three people. Two worked for the forest department and were surveying some land. The other had just parked his car by a service road.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Eric, I hiked the first few miles without gaiters. In such a dry climate all these little needles, sticks, sand, pebbles were getting into my trail runners and i had to constantly empty them. I pulled on the gaiters and voila, problem solved. They didnt seem to make my feet or ankles any hotter or sweater either.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Gaiters keep the mosquitoes from biting through your sock tops! I didn't wear mine for my first trip in trail runners, and I spent a month afterwards gritting my teeth and trying really hard not to scratch!

Interesting trip report, Brad, from a part of the country to which I've never been. Thank you!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks! It is great to hear about climate and topography so completely different from my own (Washington Cascades). I've been in Florida and getting lost is too easy in flat terrain– I'm used to some up and down!

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Enjoyed the TR.

"Pack: HMG Windrider. Having to carry so much water was a bit uncomfortable in this pack."

How was it uncomfortable? And what would you say your pack weight was fully loaded? I have a regular Windrider and planning to use it for a 2 week section with no resupply.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools