Topic

Rab Kinetic Jacket – 8.5oz Pertex Shield+ WPB Shell – Men’s L/XL only – $99.71 shipped from Campsaver.com – Also, Rab Pulse Jacket – M’s S/M/L/XL – $141.27 shipped

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Rab Kinetic Jacket – 8.5oz Pertex Shield+ WPB Shell – Men’s L/XL only – $99.71 shipped from Campsaver.com – Also, Rab Pulse Jacket – M’s S/M/L/XL – $141.27 shipped

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Figured I could give this it's own post now that I've confirmed it. I ordered the Kinetic jacket from Campsaver in the blue "Breaker" color on Monday and it arrived today – the jacket I received uses the new Pertex Shield+ 2.5L fabric, and so is definitely the newest iteration (earlier versions use a heavier Pertex Shield fabric and therefore weigh roughly 40g more). My men's medium came in a bit over spec on weight at 231g (Rab spec's the jacket at 220g for a men's large), but at roughly 8oz it is still half the weight of my old Westcomb eVent shell.

For the uninformed, this jacket is the more featured version of the Rab Pulse Jacket reviewed in BPL's recent UL WPB jacket SOTMR. Differences between the two jackets include velcro (Kinetic) vs. elastic (Pulse) cuffs, dual side pockets (Kinetic) versus single chest pocket (Pulse), and wired brim (Kinetic) versus non-wired brim (not 100% sure about that last one, though Rab does not specify a wired brim as a feature for the Pulse). Similar jackets tend to run between $150-$200, so under $100 shipped is a pretty solid deal (in fact, Rab's stated MSRP for the new Kinetic is $185).

With regards to the Kinetic, both the Breaker and Apple colors Campsaver has available are definitely the newest revision (as these colors are new for this season) – so you should be able to order them with confidence. That said, I'm not sure about the black color – it could be the older version, so you've been warned. As for the Pulse, it's a new model, so there is no possibility of receiving an older version.

And now for the actual deal (finally!): Campsaver.com is running a Rab promotion and has the newest version (Apple/Breaker colors only) of Rab's Kinetic Jacket on clearance/sale for $104.96 (or $99.71 w/ code "cart-5849"). Shipping is free in the CONUS.

http://www.campsaver.com/kinetic-jacket-men-s

Want to spend more money for a slightly lighter jacket? I didn't, but if you do (or if your size is not available in the Kinetic), Campsaver also has the Rab Pulse Jacket on sale for $141.27 after code (which is, once again, "cart-5849").

http://www.campsaver.com/pulse-jacket-men-s

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have one I'm testing for an upcoming review here on BPL. Great design and fully featured for only a bit more weight than the Pulse in the SOTMR. FWIW though, the brim isn't wired but is stiffened with some kind of semi-rigid foam.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Chris, you're right – just checked my jacket and it does not appear to have an actual wire in the brim – but the brim is still rigid and coverage seems pretty great. The height of the chin-guard is a nice touch – it goes up to my nose.

Also, regarding fit – in my men's medium I can layer a light down jacket and an 260g/m2 weight baselayer underneath with some room to spare, but the jacket gets rather tight in the armpits when I try to throw it on over my heavyweight puffy (a Rab Infinity down jacket, men's med). If you intend to use the jacket as a shell in cold weather with similar heavyweight insulation, consider sizing up. For reference, I'm a 39" chest, 32" waist.

Chris Bainbridge

@docbain

Are you sure this is the new 2012 Shield Plus version? The campsaver page says "Pertex Shield DS 2.5L" which is the old version. Rab are just beginning to roll out the 2012 version which is why last year's version is on sale everywhere. I would be very surprised if the 2012 version was being discounted.

Still a great price though.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Yep, I'm sure with regards to the Apple/Breaker colors – both colors are new for this season, and the pictures posted for them on campsaver match Rab's own stock pics. Additionally, I ordered and received my jacket already – it's made from the semi transparent Pertex Shield+ 2.5L fabric (further confirmed by the retail tags and a small Pertex Shield+ logo near the cuff). The previous Shield fabric was opaque and had a white backing.

It is definitely unusual that they are on sale for such a low price – and it probably isn't intentional – my guess is that campsaver forgot to update pricing once the new stock came in.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Thanks for the tip. I ordered my Pulse two weeks ago, and I called Campsaver and they just refunded me the difference for the sale price.

(Also, beware the narrow shoulders on the Pulse. I had to size up because the jacket would barely close around my chest, even though the waist was roomy.)

Michael Geoghegan

@mwgblog

Locale: Southern CA

Thanks for pointing this one out. My breaker colored jacket arrived today. I'd have preferred the black but went with the breaker to ensure it was from newer stock. Marked Pertex Shield + on the sleeve. Weight came in at 8.4oz for the size large.

David Vo

@sygyzy

Wow, amazing post. Very detailed in explaining the differences and evidence of it being the newest model. Also very clear on how to order, complete with coupon code, plus alternatives if someone wanted to pay more for a lighter version. Thank you very much!

Edit: Bummer, the price is up to $190 and there's only one jacket left, in size XL.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice weight on those jackets, I am seriously tempted by them but my but my 4 your old Montane event Quickfire comes in at 330g for a Large and is far more breathable.

Darren Bagnall

@dbagnall

Locale: El Portal, CA

Looks like this promotion is over. At any rate I can't get over the over-sized climbers hood as if climbers (who wear helmets) are the only ones who buy rain jackets. Is there a UL Rab Rab jacket for people who don't wear helmets?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools