Topic

Emigrant Wilderness-HWY 108

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Emigrant Wilderness-HWY 108

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Anyone body been up to Kennedy Meadows yet? I am sure there is still snow but how much? I saw a report of 5-9 inches at Dodge Ridge Ski Resort which is already closed for the season. Any info appreciated. Thanks

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Hi Jay,

I was thinking similar thoughts today as I was driving through Oakdale on 108. I just looked at Caltrans and 108 is closed before Kennedy Meadows so unless someone has skis or a snowmobile they likely haven't made it up that high.

It looks like the spring heat is coming on strong this weekend. I am ready for the snow to melt and get a trip in.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Dave, I guess I have to weight a few more weeks for the HWY to be open. I wonder if Beardsley Res. is open for car camping? I need to get out!

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

There's a sensor up on Deadman Creek showing 17" of snow.
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PAGE6

– Nate

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Great website Nate, Thanks

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Any members been to Lake Margret yet?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

looks like 108 is open to Kennedy now. when it switches from being closed 13 mi past strawberry to 26.4 mi past, that means it's open to Kennedy. Going to still be a fair amount of snow. It's running a little ahead of 2007 ( the last low snow year), when I went in from Kennedy on april 25th or so for a ski trip. We walked to about 8500 ft before we could ski, and the sensors in the area are showing more snow this year than that year. So I suspect solid snow above about 7500-8000 feet. Base webcam at Dodge still shows some snow at about 6500 feet (north facing). I'll bet you can get through to Kennedy Meadows resort on the phone pretty soon if not now and see what they have to say.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Paul, Me and the son are heading to Beardsley Res. to fish, car-camp and do some day hiking. We will try to explore Kennedy meadows but it sounds like still too much snow. Maybe the Dardanelles trails are open?

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools