Topic

Tuolumne Meadows Day Hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Tuolumne Meadows Day Hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I am planning a week trip to Yosemite with a buddy. We have a wilderness permit for a night stay in Little Yosemite the night before we climb Half Dome. Other than that we are planning on doing some day hiking. More than likely a day walking around Mariposa Grove, a day hiking from Tioga Pass Rd to North Dome and Indian Rock, and a day hiking around Tuolumne Meadows. My question to you guys is…. Which is your favorite day hike in Tuolumne Meadows? There are so many that look such fun. I wish the Old Tioga Rd was a maintained trail. The one that Stephen Mather purchased with his own money, repaired and donated to the parks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Which is your favorite day hike in Tuolumne Meadows? There are so many that look such fun. I wish the Old Tioga Rd was a maintained trail."

1. Go north on the Dog Lake Trail and keep going north to Ragged Peak. Climb the peak, and then return.
    2. Elizabeth Lake is short.
    3. Bubb Lake is short.
    4. Hike up to Bubb Lake, then loop back behind Cathedral Peak and back to the road.

The original Tioga Road is not visible in many places unless you know where to look. There are several segments of it more in the center of the park, west and east of Mount Hoffmann, and then some all the way to Tioga Pass. Some of the segments are packed gravel from the wagon days and a few are disintegrating pavement from the automobile days. Further, if you look closely, you can see where people had camps along the way. There is a lot of history there.

–B.G.–

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools