Topic

New M50 “Top Quilt”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Why am I so addicted to making bags and quilts?
    This will be #9.

So my plan is to make a SUL M50 with 5 ounces of 900 down top quilt.
    I am thinking it should be just under 9 ounces?

Yes that's right, something strange as usual. So the plan is for two 5" down filed baffled tubes, one on top the other to go the entire perimeter around my body and under my neck. Then the top will be a 14-6 karo with sewn through stitching.
    The top will be measured around the side tubes and sewn to the top of those tubes instead of what would be the sides in a normal flat quilt.
    I will then take a single layer of fabric and drape it over me but under the side tubes.
    Then just cut and sew it to the bottom (except a space to easily get the head though) and cut a slit from about half way up the center to the top.
    This will allow me to drape the quilt over me without having to get in. When in the quilt, it will have enough fabric on the bottom to be able to completely enclose the bottom (more like a bag), and keep the heat in but there will be no down on the bottom.

This top quilt will mainly work in 2 ways.

For adding 15* to a bag
    As a summer quilt

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

That's an interesting design if I'm reading it correctly. Let's see some pics of that thing when done!

Ryan

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

I posted this here first and when finished posted it on the homemade gear so I thought I would copy it to here as well.

Just got through making a top bag that has a slit down the middle of the single layer of bottom fabric, (acts more as a quilt). It took just over 5 hours while watching the SF Giants double header games last night. For how light this is, it is toasty warm. Did a perfect job at just making it wide enough to not have any drafts as well.

Used Momentum 50 with 5.4 ounces of 900 fill. The fabric weight before stuffing was 4.4 ounces, total weight 9.8 ounces. Loft is just under 2 1/2"

The top was just made to fit my body. I even did some extra sewing lines to make it fit better around both the feet and the shoulders. The top with down is 38" wide at is widest. There is a 6" filled collar that goes under the head that the bottom single layer is also sewn to.

I stitching is a 14-8 Karo style with sewn through stitching.

This was made to add a good degree of warmth to a bag as well as serve as a it's going to be a warm one quilt.quqw

James Jones
    BPL Member

@maniacjwj

Locale: Colorado Rockies

That is amazing, Aaron. Your sewing skills definitely bury mine. I've only sewn 3-4 packs. Successfully dealing with feathers is impressive. Does a top quilt work for someone who tosses and turns a lot? How small does it pack down?

Jim
    http://www.hikingfreedom.com

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Hi Jim,

I'm not speaking for Aaron, but I'm a tosser 'n turner and I do so in a quilt. In fact, I've used the quilt for years and don't intend to go back. I guess I should clarify: I would definitely use a bag in certain conditions, or if certain high end bags "fell in my lap"!

Aaron is very creative (search his older posts for some really cool gear). I suggest a tapered quilt unless you're going to use it in a hammock, for sure. Or steal Aaron's! I currently use the Golite Ultra 20 (no longer in production).

Todd

James Jones
    BPL Member

@maniacjwj

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks Todd. I do have a Western Mountaineering Highlite. It does the job very well. I was just curious about quilts.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Thought I would post a few more pictures that show what I have been describing.
    Enjoy!
    qw1

Just the top 6" around the head underneath has down. The rest of what you see is all a single layer of the M50.
    You can see where it comes together into the down top layer on the right.

I made a stuff sack for it. Still has a good amount of room but is not too compressed. It came out to be a little smaller than a shoe or a guess just a little bit bigger than a one litter bottle.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Hi Aaron, Nice to see you around. How are you doing?

I remember my first quilt that you made for me. It was really nice.

I hope to be more active again here soon. I have lots of new designs in my mind which I need to get out ASAP. I am sure you will like it.

You need to make vertical baffled quilts – baffles from head to toe. For some reason I don't find Karo quilts aesthetically pleasing.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

This quilt top is sewn through so I think karo was the way to go. Having all those vertical sew throughs would take away a lot of warmth.
    Don't knock the karo until you've tried it. It is a very effective style for a quilt.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Sorry but you missed my comment.

I am not knocking it. I think its effective design for a sewn through quilt. Nice job like always.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Huf,

I got it, aesthetics.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools