Topic

My latest cold weather canister stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My latest cold weather canister stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

New liquid feed canister stove

This is my latest liquid feed canister stove, it is a made from MSR Pocket Rocket bits and a Kovea Eagle stove, in its current form it weighs 194.1g (6.8oz). The stove is different to my others as the valve is between the preheat tube and jet, Roger Caffin suggested that I try this idea during a private e-mail discussion last year. The idea of using Pocket Rocket pot supports as legs I came from a picture on BPL forum posted by Curt Peterson. Both stoves can be returned to their original configurations. The Kovea Eagle stove has been converted from a four leg pot supports to three legs.

The initial tests are very promising; the response to the flame adjustment is much quicker than my previous stove which had the flame adjustment valve on the canister. I am also hoping that the icing up problems with the valve on the canister will be solved (this usually only happened in the field). It is summer here and I will have to wait until winter to test in the field.

This stove is a prototype if it is successful then I will build a lighter version which uses more aluminum and some Titanium I aim to get the stove to around 100g (3.5oz) I am also working on a new more efficient burner design and a lightweight integrated windshield.
    closeup new stove

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tony

>This is my latest liquid feed canister stove, it is a made from MSR Pocket Rocket bits and a Kovea Eagle stove, in its current form it weighs 194.1g (6.8oz). The stove is different to my others as the valve is between the preheat tube and jet,
    Rocking! I love the inverted Pocket Rocket legs! Although I found them a bit bendy myself.
    Yep, that is where the valve ought to be in the next generation of liquid-feed canister stoves.

I have some versions I have been working on myself, but I want to do a bit more work on them before displaying them. Making my own valve systems (rather than reusing one) is a bit more tricky than expected – they need some rather fine machining to be able to shut right off.

I reckon the icing up problem will go away like this, as long as the valve on the canister is opened up fully.

Next please!

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very, very cool. I'd hit a wall in my Xtreme mods and this is motivating me to get back to it. Between this and Bill's incredible work, certainly the idea of a ~4oz. remote canister stove seems possible.

Keep it up!

-Curt

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Roger,

The Pocket Rocket legs are a little bit unstable but they are a much improved on my old supports, I am going to try and make stronger aluminum legs to fit on the Pocket Rocket leg bracket more on that later. For the pot supports I am hoping to make some Ti ones.

>Making my own valve systems (rather than reusing one) is a bit more tricky than expected – they need some rather fine machining to be able to shut right off.<

Using the manufactures valve was only to check if the stove design worked, making new lightweight needle valves is going to be the next part of my stove development. I have made needle valves before for my work and you are right they do require fine machining I am going to use Ti for the needle and Aluminum for the housing. I am hoping by making my own valves I can save a lot of weight.

I would like to buy some Coleman powermax canisters I cannot find them in Canberra could you please let me know where you purchase them from in Sydney.

Below is a double Pocket Rocket version, it is 10g lighter than the Rocket/Eagle stove.

Tony
    Double Pocket Rocket stove

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Curt,

>I'd hit a wall in my Xtreme mods and this is motivating me to get back to it<

I had also hit the wall on my design it was finding your picture of using the Pocket Rocket legs that things clicked and gave me the motivation to get back into it.

Thanks

Tony

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I would like to buy some Coleman powermax canisters I cannot find them in Canberra could you please let me know where you purchase them from in Sydney.

Yeah, not so easy. Scroll down from this URL:
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm#Cartridge
    till you get to the stuff on the Powermax canisters. There are details about how to get them from the Coleman warehouse there. A very nice lady called Carla Cincotta at Coleman is able to help.

> Using the manufactures valve was only to check if the stove design worked, making new lightweight needle valves is going to be the next part of my stove development. I have made needle valves before for my work and you are right they do require fine machining I am going to use Ti for the needle and Aluminum for the housing. I am hoping by making my own valves I can save a lot of weight.
    It's not so much the needle valve itself as the body around it.
    Chuckle: I now have some 5 mm Ti rod (local scrap metal merchant!), and some very high tensile duralium alloy in bulk (part of a broken RAAF Hercules propeller). Heh heh heh…

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Roger,

Thankyou for the information on purchasing Powermax canisters, my nephew works for a local Camping World store, he informed that they recently had stocked some but they did not move, so they eventually sold them for $2 each aaahhhh.

If you need some advice on machining the needle valve body please feel free to ask I would be more than happy to help.

As you know Research Institutions workshop scrap bins can yield some good material but if you are looking for some mild steel forget it.

I seems like you had a good find with you Ti and duralium, it is expensive here in Oz most of my small amount Ti came from my days as a racing engine builder over 20 years ago I got some Ti valves out of a V8. I would like to get hold of some 1mm thick Ti sheet metal to make a new efficient burner head that I am working on.

Tony

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools