Topic

Can you guess what?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Can you guess what?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    christopher witter
    BPL Member

@cwitter

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Testing the creative genius here on BPL. Can you guess what is going on in this picture?

Can you guess?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The shoe stove?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Clelland cleaning out his shoes?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Clelland toilet paper collection?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Trying to dry them out with moss?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

De-smelling (!) the boots
    Franco

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Ultra-active foot fungus.

Must be a long-distance hiker's boots.

Levon Jensen
    BPL Member

@levonjensen

Locale: Canadian Rockies

adding some padding under foot ?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Another vote for the Clelland TP!

christopher witter
    BPL Member

@cwitter

Locale: Mid Atlantic

John was correct. Now here's the funny story behind it. Those aren't actually my shoes, they're my sons. It was about 3 hours before sun down I had just finished getting our water for the morning. He was playing around the stream nearby when one foot decided to go swimming with the other one following almost immediately afterwards.
    I had spotted some really dry moss about .25 mile from our campsite at an off trail location we were exploring. So we headed out to gather some of it to soak up as much of the water from his shoes as possible. Once the moss absorbed as much of the water as possible we put them in the sun for the remaining hour or so that was left. In the morning they were dry enough that he didn't feel any moisture. However, I now carry a set of plastic bags to cover his socks should his shoes get wet again.

Secret Location

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm…didn't read OP's last post fully.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I did that so many times as a kid! If we were camping near water, I was there. I learned a lot about rivers, streams, ponds, lakes and ***oceans*** in the process.

I remember getting to stream morphology in a physical geology class. It was all so common sense to me, but a number of my classmates couldn't grasp the principles of water running downhill. It dawned on me that they had never wandered a stream bank and played on the rocks and logs. During one winter storm, the Skykomish River changed course by 1/4 mile in one night. It was awesome to see the results; fortunately, it just missed the village of Index.

Getting his feet wet will give him a love of nature— and maybe make him a little smarter too :)

Good idea on the moss!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools